Shredded files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by goalseeker, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goalseeker

goalseeker Registered Member

Hi Hope this is the correct section to post this and forgive me for being a stupid silver haired surfer.

I backed up my 'C' drive last night to my external drive and to remove the last back up I clicked on shred this file only to realise that too late I had clicked on the incorrect folder.

Question:- is there any software available that will recover shredded files or what else can I do because of course I have destroyed the folder I work on every day.

Thank you for any responses.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Hi goalseeker and welcome to Wilders.

Shredded files spaces usually get overwritten with a series of zeros and ones which can make the files virtually impossible to recover.

Had the folder just been deleted instead of shredded, then there would have been a good chance of recovery.

What did you use to shred, how many passes, and which operating system?

3. goalseeker

Hi Stapp Many thanks for trying to help.

I use Windows 7 O/S and I/O Bit to shred the files, as far as number of passes I think the standard setting is 7 passes which makes me think the worst.

I right click my mouse and saw shred when I should have just deleted the files as I know you can recoverfrom that disaster.

Why is it that you always appear to destroy the most valuable things when you make an error.

regards and thanks again it is appreciated

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

With 7 times shredding I'm sorry to say you have close to zero chance of recovering any of the shredded data.Even a professional data recovery company would,at best,be able to restore a few fragments.

Your only hope would be if you changed the location of the files at any point,there might be remnants in the previous location.

5. goalseeker

Thanks for your advice even though I am totally depressed having lost all of my work. Still as they say never again. Trouble is I have a meeting in two weeks for which I have been preparing since October - that may give you an idea of how I feel at this moment.

cheers

6. SOG

SOG Registered Member

If you did it in that order, won't the file be in the backup that you made?

7. goalseeker

Hi SOG

That would have been nice but unfortunately the folder that I shredded was on the drive I backed my hard drive to not on the hard drive. I keep my doc files and spreadsheets on my external drive. So unfortunately there is no copy of the file that contains all my work files, yes I should have backed them up to the hard drive and then backed up the hard drive to the external drive but unfortunately the horse had bolted before I realised the gate was open if you know what I mean.

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.