Should Tech and Security Sites (Inc. Wilders) blackout Jan 18 to protest SOPA?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Jan 17, 2012.

?

Should Tech and Security Sites (Inc. Wilders) blackout Jan 18 to protest SOPA?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. What's SOPA?

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Damn every time i read a SOPA/PIPA news i get frustrated, !"#$ em all :rolleyes:

2. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

What it going to help? Your only putting the people who need help at a disadvantage. No matter of protesting will change anything unless it can put money in some politicians pocket. You are talking about a Billion dollar industry vs Website blackouts.
    I mean they don't care what you do.

3. guest

guest Guest

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I hate to be a party pooper, but that's probably still what will happen. Just because the bill removes the portion about shutting down websites in and outside the U.S deemed to be in conflict with the law, it doesn't mean SOPA has been neutered. SOPA isn't even passed yet, and MegaUpload, a major file service, was taken out to the firing squad and shot.

There are still a lot of major supporters of it that fund a lot of campaigns..we've not won anything yet. You're right, the tactics you mentioned are the norm for the U.S (and plenty of others), and I don't see this being any different. It's a highly publicized issue that, this time, involved more than just the people at home. If it had been just them affected, we wouldn't have stood a chance of even watering down the thing.

It's nowhere near over yet, and if it doesn't pass now, it'll sit in a folder while the fires get put out, and pop back up later. Then you'll have the "we have to pass the healthcare bill, so you can see what's in the healthcare bill" fiasco all over again. No, I'm not getting political, so I don't wish for my post to be altered again. People have to know how these things work so they have a chance to speak up and act.

6. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

I say NO

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

FWIW, -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-TV4jaCMk-

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It's worth a view :thumb:

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I agree FWIW. It will never be over.

The law against stealing is on the books already and has been for several thousand years.

The problem with this law has always been enforcement. In a university environment it is called plagerisim where someone copies someone elses work and claims it as their own. Then of course when caught they claim they are having their human rights infringed because of the usual reasons.

Just because the www makes it easy to copy and steal doesn't mean we should do it and then jump up and down when caught claiming our freedom of expression and exchange of ideas and that the www should be "open" for anything I want to do legal or not. This makes no sense.

If I give you MY own music, MY program whatever that is open, no sweat.

BUT if I have copyrighted or patented work and you steal it via stealth or my inability to protect it well guess what you have broken and 2000 year old law and deserve the consequences. If I have a warehouse full of stolen property and you get it from me you have now received stolen goods.

We either believe in the rule of law and enforce it or we don't.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/megaupload-founder-kim-dotcom-denies-piracy-zealand-judge-130737781.html

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  10. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

+1 to escalader

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Time to reread Atlas Shrugged?

12. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

-http://www.billionairechronicles.net/billionaires-split-sopa-:rolleyes:

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It's actually interesting that you mentioned that. The reason I say that is because, many times many books, specially technical books, they are copycatting what others have said, and then when someone doesn't pay for the book, and actually gets it some other way, they say people are stealing.

For example, in the networking field, pretty much every thing are specifications and standards. These specifications and standards are "dictated" (this is not a bad thing, it's good thing!) by those geeks who come up... well... with those specifications and standards.

Then, we see lots and lots of book authors, all of them talking about the same things, only a bit by different words, in those areas where they can use different words to say something. Semantics, if you may.

Aren't they copying material that others have come up with? What right do they have to say it's their work? It's not their work. It would be the same as if I start writing a networking book... full of beautiful semantics... and then charge you a fair amount... when someone else actually came up with everything I'm talking about in that book. :D

It's just like book authors that talk about religion, cinema industry that make millions and millions thanks to History.

My point is: Something starts something... many times nature itself starts something, then some human copycats whatever they seem a nice way of making millions, and they claim that work as theirs. It's not theirs.

I could point out many film makers that took and take advantage of tragedies that happened, are happening and will happen, just to make billions! The same for some book authors, who make the fortune they make due to other people's tragedies.

Even within the music industry, we see many of them taking advantage of others, also to make millions.

There was a recent tragedy in Norway, where a guy killed all those people. If I am not mistaken, the cinema industry didn't waste time making a movie about it. For what? Taking advantage of a recent tragedy to make millions?

Was the movie authorized by all the dead people? Somehow, I think it wasn't. I may be wrong, though. The same can be asked about any other movie that were made after tragedies that have happened.

Indeed, it's all about what's legal or illegal. Unfortunately, it's not illegal to do what these people do.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.