Should Tech and Security Sites (Inc. Wilders) blackout Jan 18 to protest SOPA?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Jan 17, 2012.

?

Should Tech and Security Sites (Inc. Wilders) blackout Jan 18 to protest SOPA?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. What's SOPA?

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The title pretty much asks it all. Should Tech and Security Sites (including WildersSecurity.com) blackout Jan 18 to protest SOPA?

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Of what benefit would it be to a forum that's supposed to provide support to "black out"? It's not a simple news site or blog. Companies like ESET use Wilders as their user support forum.

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Sorry to be stupid (again) but why should I support this in the first place?
    What is your rationale.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I can see it now. "Help me my computer is infected." "Sorry dude can't help today were protesting."

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I voted YES: the WEB belongs to all us, is all us, his freedom too. Not the piracy naturally , it's not freedom, it's illegality; but SOPA is a risk for all the WEB.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I agree, but customer service is not something that can feasibly be ignored, regardless of a great reason. As for doing it here, I would imagine it would be kind of like preaching to the choir. That said, also doing it here would involve little risk, as nobody is going to sue or stop using Wilders for being down a day.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The blackout for Wilders doesn't make sense. Who here isn't aware/ against SOPA already?

It would effect like 30 users who already hate SOPA lol

I hope that sites like Wikipedia, Google, and Facebook go down. That'll get millions of peoples attention.

8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Good Grief, it's happened again!! Twice in a week we agree!

9. Hungry Man

10. acr1965

I did not say you should support SOPA or be against it.

11. acr1965

Using that rationale, what good would it do for any site to blackout? Sites for news need to be open to report the blackouts and any updates regarding that info. Personally I think the blackout is only as serious or frivolous as the sites that join. Lots of people seem to object to SOPA but want it to be someone else's war.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Wikipedia is going down in a few more hours.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You just gave the reason for a whole lot of other issues as well. You can't stop this stuff if you don't bother to speak up.

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole blackout idea. I also wonder just how SOPA affects Europeans like me. For example, Start Page is from a Dutch server & DDG (although American) is from a server in the Irish Republic (if Flagfox is correct). Just how will SOPA affect non-Americans?

15. Hungry Man

Not sure but when it starts here it won't take long for it to spread over there... depending on which country lol Europe is a big place.

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Last I checked, you're not paying Wikipedia etc for support, people paying ESET are.

17. acr1965

Well, for a moment, we can set aside the issue of whether Eset provides more support on this site to those with a license or not...the point I was making was that it seems most of those sites with a financial tie to the internet that oppose SOPA are not objecting to it with anything more than maybe a note pinned to their home page. The sites that are free are the ones voicing a louder objection with the blackouts. It's like the sites making money don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. Wikipedia could be gone from the face of the internet tomorrow and, unless someone is out money, nobody would even blink an eye.

18. Hungry Man

lol the legal ramifications of Google shutting down... they'd get sued so fast.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Could we puh-leeeze stop talking about Wilders being down for a day? :ouch: ;)

20. Daveski17

Yeah, I'm not really clued-up on how the EU will react to SOPA. Although my country's government (England) often keeps an eye on possible implementation of developments across the pond, whether they be for good or ill.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm not sure that this link will not be removed but I'll take a chance about "does it affect me?"

22. Daveski17

Wow, for a few nanoseconds I actually saw Wikipedia, then it went. I'll have to wait until Jimmy Wales gets it back online. ;)

23. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Potentially i many ways. Many non-americans use google, youtube, facebook, Tor, Wilders Security Forums...

If SOPA is approved how will that affect the "Privacy Related Topics" section here on Wilders? Would be allowed the discussion about technology that allows American citizens to preserve their online privacy and anonymity? :ninja:

24. Daveski17

Yes, this Guardian article is interesting & particularly enlightening.

Well, from what I can see, Corporate America is going to win yet again. I suppose it was inevitable. The Internet is too scary for many of these multi nationals, US or other. They desperately want to control it for their own ends I suppose.

25. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

A bit late, but I'll toss the idea out. The blackout shouldn't be limited to a day. It should be at repeating intervals to keep their (gov't reps, supporters, etc) attention and the intervals shortened if they don't appear to be listening. Sites that can't afford to shut down but still want to oppose it could add a protest to the main page. IMO, once is not enough. The usual tactic with things like this is to wait for people to calm down, keep it out of the news, and slip it in later. We need to make it clear that we aren't forgetting about this or changing our minds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.