Should I use Spybot as well as ESET Smart Security?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by VolkerB, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolkerB

VolkerB Registered Member

Hello,

I'm a little confused about what would be a recommended setup for a system. I recently trialled Eset Smart Security Suite and was very impressed and have bought it.

But, up til now I have been using Norton 360 and Windows Defender and Spybot S&D.

Clearly I need to uninstall Norton before I install Eset but should I retain Windows Defender and Spybot?

And, will they conflict with and slow down the Smart Security Suite?

Perhaps someone could give me a little guidance?

Thanks

Volker

2. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

No conflicts with spybot about win defender i donno.

3. OLDXTECH

OLDXTECH Registered Member

I have been using Windows Defender + Spybot Search and Distroy + ESET Smart Security - all working full time/real time - for over a year and have NEVER had any conflicts/problems, nor ANY "bugs" creap in to cause trouble.
    My system is REALLY clean. By the way, I also run CCleaner full time each startup to clear out all the trash etc. VERY effective.
    Cheers. Jim

4. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

FYI....SuperAntiSpyware "Real-Time" works fine, also. SpywareBlaster, TeaTimer, and Spybot S&D all interact on my XP system with ESS. Win XP Firewall is Off now but was never an issue when used with ESS.

Periodically you'll see problems posted about 100% CPU use but I've never witnessed above 50% when ESS On-Demand Scan is in process. AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 4600+...2G RAM

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello:

After the normal removal of Norton carry out the following steps:

1) Reboot
    2) Go to symantec web site and find, dowlnload and run the latest Norton_Removal_Tool.exe. These products deeply imbed themselves in the os and special utilities are needed to remove their vestiges.

3) Run a register clean up tool such as CCleaner

4) Reboot PC

5) Install your Nod product, if it has a FW turn off windows FW

6) Forget Spybot S and D, no longer needed IMHO, for sure disable TeaTimer

7) Forget Spybot windows defender, no longer needed IMHO

It is possible to have TOO much security software and the conflicts that can occur with them. The conflicts occur at kernal level and like High Blood Pressure have zero symptoms. If fact posts have shown that double real time tools can actually neutralize each other so user has neither protecting them. More is not always better.

Good luck

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It has been a while since I looked at Safer Networking's Spybot - Search & Destroy software, but I recall that the TeaTimer module could interfere with the installation of some software. You may wish to temporarily disable it or otherwise make sure it allows ESET Smart Security to install properly on the system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.