Should I use linux for an End user Product?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by x942, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x942

x942 Guest

I am currently prototyping a product that will hopefully be released in the next 6 or so months. The issues is two fold:

1) Should I use linux as the OS and design a GUI on top?

2) Should I roll my own OS?

I have done both so far in tests and both work the same (as far as user experience goes) but we are looking to make this open for dev's and hobbyists. Either way we go the OS is opensource (GPLV2), Which way do you think is better?

Somethings to know:

This is running on an embedded ARMV9 processor.

Our OS is built from scratch (not based on anything existing, but could be considered a distant cousin to Unix).

By default the UI will be "limited" so the average user can just do what they want to do and the technology doesn't get in the way, But dev's and hobbyists can get under the hood whenever they want.

Thank you for any tips :)

x942

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Roll your own version of LINUX with LFS.

3. x942

x942 Guest

I have been tinkering with that as well as android. Still trying to decide which will be the easiest for the user.

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

You've build your own kernel en graphics subsystem (X-Windows)?

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

That would depend on the desktop you put in it.

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  7. x942

x942 Guest

Yes. We have built the Core Kernel, Wifi and Ethernet drivers (based on Atheros Source Code) Graphics drivers, we used X as a base and modified it to work for us. Note this did take over a year to write. But started as a hobby project before we came up with this product.

I am building a End User device that any one should be able to use. Even a non-techie person. I wont have a conventional desktop by default (don't worry it is completely open and can be switched to one). I am thinking of an android/iOS/XBMC type overlay.

The underbelly doesn't really matter as long as I can make updates as seemless as possible. The average user will never think to look underneath. If dev's and hobbyist do they will know what to do.

The device is small and ARM9 based (This is an embedded system). It is capable of running full Linux distros but I want something easier to use for the stereo-typical "grandma/grandpa" if you will.

This device is aimed at being plugged into a TV or monitor and is VERY small. (Smaller than an Apple TV).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.