should i use a realtime registry guard like regdefend as well as a "polling".....

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chrome_sturmen, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

i was wondering, should i use a realtime registry guard like regdefend as well as a "polling"registry app like regrun? i have a trial of regdefend, and though i dont really know how it works, i like the idea of protection at the registry level, though i use also process guard, nod32, ewido, and some others. i also have a trial of regrun gold, and it looks like a unique and complex program- i had it installed, but had to uninstall, because some things i installed after it didnt run at startup as they should (i think this is a configuration problem, though i couldnt see where to make changes to allowances of what starts at system startup). what are you guys' thoughts on this?

thanks in advance

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

MJRegWatch is a poller. Free. Its polling interval can be set so doggone fast that it is very likely (NOT certain) that it will stop a registry change before it has time to hurt anything. MJRegWatcher is a gutsy little Terrier. He will grab a crook just as soon as he opens your front door.

RegDefender is a full-time, real-time, pissed-off Rottweiler. He ain't free (well, not exactly). A crook won't make it to your front door. Rotty will geld the b*st*rd the instant he sets foot in your yard. :blink:

If you are paranoid, buy the Rottweiler. Otherwise... use the Terrier; save a few bux. But get one or the other -- I can't conceive of any need for both.

3. muf

muf Registered Member

You need to know that the latest Regrun v4.6 does not poll for changes. The new Kernel system driver regguard.sys intercepts the changes before they are made. Take a look and read up on it.
    http://www.greatis.com/security/regguard.htm

muf

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

regrun still polls for changes as usual. all the regguard driver does is block registry changes, at least when i tried it. i never received any alerts or prompts.

5. muf

muf Registered Member

How odd! Worked on mine...

muf

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

maybe its was beta when i tried. i may try again sometime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.