should i upgrade to sp2?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nullend_void, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nullend_void

nullend_void Registered Member

i was just wondering if i should take the plunge and upgrade or just stick with sp1 as of the moment? its because ive read about compatibility issues with it...

2. Brent

Brent Registered Member

Go for it. I have it and have had 0 problems.

I seem to find people that install it in Safe Mode have the least amount of problems. I just slipstreamed mine.

But I seen the Microsoft list of programs that might not run right under it. I have some of those programs and they run fine.

So yes I would highly recommend SP2

3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

No Problemo yet? except for msn groups i cant then i can get into there sites frustrating all day its been that way?...as far as programs im all ok..i installed in safe mode 2..I use the lastest ..llike corel 12 Adobe photoshop cs all ok so far !! regards maddawgz :D :D :D

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Install.

Take note of the incompatibility issues that Microsoft addresses. As I recall, most result from the default functioning firewall.

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

SP2 is not bad... it can also prevent buffer overflows. My pentium 4 processor only supports software-enforced DEP. Just download SP2, no harm done.

6. nullend_void

nullend_void Registered Member

will i be well off with the sp2 firewall? or should i just disable it and use another software instead?

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

well Im going against the tide here and am not going to download just yet . I have good security and really feel there is no urgency . I will wait.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Turn off the windows firewall and get a good one that will filter out going. Oh and by the way I have sp2 and it runs great after one little thing after install, but that was my own fault. Runs fine now. ;)

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

10. funjoh

funjoh Guest

I have installed sp2 on a brand new computer and a 4 year old - no problems at all

11. fhn123

fhn123 Guest

Had issue loading SP2 last night. The problem originated from three missing files in C:\Windows\security (edb.log, res1.log, and res2.log). I keep my PC lean and mean so all log files were deleted after installing SP1. 99.99% of log files are deletable. Apparently, Lamosoft didn't follow the rule with SP2! It's nice to have the image file of the as-loaded version of WXP Pro to extract deleted data.

So, check for these three items if SP2 displays 'unable to read from or write to the database' when it tries to back-up files/creates a restore point.

SP2 pulls an additional 6MB of RAM after a clean reboot. I did not observe any speed improvement after defeating the add-on bells and whistles. Need to do more tests to confirm that SP2 is slower than SP1. Version 1 had some minor quirks with Explorer/desktop. So far SP2 appears to be problem free in this department. My Diskkeeper workstation 6 got zapped by SP2. May have to remove it before loading SP2.

I've had some problems with my USR5610B modem and WXP SP1 (no data flow, especially during the first 10 minutes of connection). Well, looks like SP2 may be the cure. Very stable throughput speed now!

BTW, SP2 will load with only 700MB of free space. SP2 will add 130MB on top of SP1 (no other patches) if you delete the backup junk folders.

12. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

My CD just arrived from MS (about 10 days from when ordered -- sounds like they're pretty consistently lots faster than the 4-6 weeks they're quoting).

First thing I did was phone my dealer and ask his recommendations, since I've got Restore-IT. I assumed best bet was to do a new incremental restore point now, before starting SP2 installation. But he says better still is to create a new static restore instead, to give me a brand-new "as-delivered" starting point in case SP2 doesn't work out, without having to go through all those upgrades to SP1 again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.