Should I go with Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail?

Discussion in 'polls' started by gracie123, Apr 18, 2008.

?

Which email is better?

1. Gmail

70 vote(s)
    64.8%
  2. Yahoo

23 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Hotmail

15 vote(s)
    13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I used Gmail until last year, when I got tired of its instability, so I moved to Hotmail and it works all the time. I also use Bluebottle for official emails.

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I use GMail since 2004. Works great, never any problem. It offered 1GB storage when hotmail was still offering 2MB and Yahoo 100MB. Now it's like almost 7GB and increasing.
    Spam filter is great.
    POP and IMAP work great, not a problem using Outlook or T-bird.
    You can block adds with "customize google" extension on firefox.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Would you like me to post a screenshot for you as proof?

You got it all wrong, i get very little Spam if any on the Gmail Inbox at all, thats good of course, i'm talking about the Spam Box, that thing after a week is almost at between 300 to 500 sometimes and more. It's no threat, just a big pain to manually have to dump the crap, unless you know an automated way to do it daily gmail says spam messages get dumped every 30 days or so.

Do you think i was born yesterday friend? I been using Yahoo for years and at least in it's settings i don't even see the Spam Box because it allows me to autodump them as they come in, and if any show up in the Yahoo Inbox as they almost always will, i send them like you would to the Spam house.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I prefer to have the spambox, and I use to check it once a week or every other week, just in case of a FP.
    But i NEVER had a FP in GMail.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I like Gmail and it's been my free web based mail over a year or better now, but have any of you guys ever got that live IM thingy on the side bar to work where you could actually chat with someone?

Mine always says sorry, seems we're experiencing a problem blah blah etc.

Maybe theres a key setting that needs changed?

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I use inbox it has excellent spam filters, it correctly labels the email the spam addressed to me as spam and the spam that addressed to me and has my email address as a from email address AS spam. So I filter out all spam and news letter I don't want to keep and just download what I want to keep with thunderbird. I also use Mailwasher to let me see just what is coming in amd if it is somethng I can read and delete without downloading the email.

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

As long as the spam is in the "spam box" thats what counts! Better then being in the "Inbox" :thumb:

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'll ask once more.

Is anyone every got Gmails IM to actually work so you chat talk to your contacts with it?

9. gismo999

gismo999 Registered Member

Nope, No me and I've had it since 2005!

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank You gismo999

I guess we can still consider Gmail still in beta phase yet even now although the mail works OK.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Do you mean the integrated chat option ?

1.png

2.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2008
  12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thats the one!

So it works ok fo you?

I'll have to give it another try then.

13. HURST

HURST Registered Member

@EASTER

it works fine for me, except when i'm behind a proxy

14. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I have a Gmail, a Yahoo and two Hotmail Accounts.

If you are going to go with the web interface, I suppose they are all fine.

I like Yahoo the best. I am using the new Yahoo interface it works fine for me. Loads up fairly quickly and I like the way it handles attached images. Spam I have set to low and so far nothing has been marked as spam. I would prefer to turn it off. My preferred method to access my Yahoo account is to use YPOPs!, which allows me to receive and send messages via my email client program. At the moment due to recent changes in Yahoo, YPOPs! is temporarily broken so I have login to the web interface via my browser. Eventually I may actually fork out some cash and go premium, so I can use POP.

Hotmail Live, once it loads it's still somewhat slow, but the interface is not bad. One thing I do like is the ability to switch over to my other account without logging out and then back in again. I use FreePOPs to download messages from Hotmail Live to my email client. No sending using FreePOPs but Hotmail Live is for junk anyway. I would never use for anything important. I have spam turned off in Hotmail.

Gmail, well I just cannot get used to conversations, I hate it. It's the worst of the three in my opinion. Spam, spam goes to my Inbox, legit messages end up in spam. Sometimes even if I put the sender in my address list. I have to check spam on a regular basis to clear out the legit. If I could turn it off I would. If you are going to use POP or IMAP, be prepared to do it the Gmail way not the RFC way. The only way I use Gmail is via POP, with it set in Gmail to delete message after downloading. I use IMAP to check Spam and that's it.

15. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Easter, I think I know what you mean by the chat option as Hi_Tech has shown. If the person you want to chat with is not on Gmail and signed in, it will not work. Also, if you are surfing in another window, thinking you may hook-up with a friend and have Gmail minimized, it won't work. It works fine for me as long as I am in Gmail only. If someone knows a setting to enable the Gmail chat box to pop-up when someone wants to chat when surfing around, please let me know.

16. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I voted for the one I use the most, Hotmail. I have all the others plus my ISP-mail, with no complaints about any except for Yahoo and it's "sign-in seal." Oh well, it's my spam-account anyway. As far as features, gmail is definitely tops. OT-I use WindowsLiveMail and have only experienced problems with checking gmail (errors) on occasion, no slow-downs with any...

17. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Gmail all the way, There spam filter is second to none. :thumb:
    Badcompany.

18. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Everyone, thank you all for your replies. It has helped me decide I want Gmail for my email provider :).

Thanks again!!:D :D

19. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I don't know why, but I still love Yahoo Mail. It's more easy for me to use it, simple but beautiful. ...and I am curious to look what's inside in my every box so I also check the spam in my email coz some of those things considered by spam filter as spam are not all spam. Thanks God, it still reach in my email inbox, at least I can still read them. :cool: ;)

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

21. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I love polls, they never include all the sw's I use :rolleyes:

Voted for yahoo because that's the one my ISp forces me to use for web mail.

Don't like hot mail as it is the "student" choice for spamming! Anybody who sends me email from hotmail I add to my spam blocked address list. In fact I blocked the whole domain.

Gmail well I only knew one guy who wanted me to use it and the reasons were well how to say this.... dubious.

I'm not trying to create FUD ( I hate fud) but these are my honest opinions.

Yes Yes I know the poll show Gmail is the "winner" but I don't care.:D

22. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Your ISP forces you to use Yahoo?

23. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, but just for web mail. I can use any one I want on my own PC.

24. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I use both GMail and Yahoo. GMail for secure email (https) and Yahoo for everyday correspondence. I think Yahoo is more convenient even though GMail has more uses.

SourMilk out

25. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I use Yahoo for all daily benign messages; it seems to filter out most spam into the bulk folder; as it should.

For important stuff ( like medications, legal correspondence [ or quasi-legal stuff ] ect., the U.S. Mail's service of "Certified Mail" delivery, which comes with online confirmation that an article of mail has been received by a real human being is a true blessing.

This is a necessity in this bureaucratic world ( proof is everything to a bureaucracy: a lesson that should be learned early in life, if real life nightmares [ and their attendant costly remedies, are to be avoided ]).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.