Should Blue Ridge Networks or Webroot acquire Shadow Defender?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

It would be great if an innovative company like Blue Ridge Networks or Webroot could acquire Shadow Defender if possible. IMO SD has proven time, and time again to be the most secure light virtualization software ever developed. It's developer Tony has been MIA for some time now, and it would be a huge waste to allow such an ingenus piece of software become abandon ware. It still works flawlessly for me on W7 x 64. Maybe Barb at Blue Ridge Networks or Joe at Webroot could pass a subtle suggestion on to the higher ups ;). I want to see SD's development continued with some bright minds like these two companies posses. Does anyone else believe this would be a great move on their part? Lets pretend for discussion sake that this is indeed possible. Who else would be as thrilled as I would be to see one of these two companies acquire such a great piece of software? SD & AG or WSA & SD would each compliment one another very well, and either setup would make for an extremely secure, and extremely light setup. Let's hope that one of these two companies recognize the value of SD, and seize the opportunity if it is ever presented! I would love to see Blue Ridge Networks or Webroot acquire SD if at all possible. Does anyone else here at Wilders believe this could be a beneficial deal for both company, and consumer? Remember for discussion sake lets assume that it could be possible to make such a deal.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Off the top of my head and given my druthers, I'd probably like to see Tzuk from Sandboxie take over...but of course the whole thing seems pretty unlikely given the mystery surrounding whomever is running the SD operation these days.

3. CGuard

CGuard Registered Member

Definitely yes. +1 for "ShadowGuard"

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or AppShadow;) ;) :cool: :thumb:

5. Cutting_Edgetech

CGuard, ShadowGuard would make for a great name! It has a nice ring to it!

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Isn't it just registry virtualization? They wouldn't have to take it over, they could add that feature on their own.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

BTW.. i'm all aware of the mysterious appearance of the so called new owners of Shadow Defender. I have never trusted them, and never will since they have refused to answer anyone's questions. They also refused to release a change log with the their mysterious build that was released. No one knows who they are, and I believe it is a common consensus here at Wilders that no one trust them. There's plenty of info about it on the Unofficial SD thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=293075

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'd actually prefer any of those two companies to focus their time on another implementation. I've passed my suggestions to both of them. Hopefully, one will do it... or do it first... or not, at all. :D :argh:

Regarding buying it or not buying it, that will depending on whether or not ShadowDefender owners want to sell it. Wishing it, isn't enough.

Also, ShadowDefender doesn't seem to fit in their purposes - simplicity. Whatever simplicity means to each one of us. :) Would most of their user base want to use something like that? Maybe yes...

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

and whom would they acquire it from?

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is such an incredible fate of mystery for some reason that always seems to affect the most genius security apps that turn out to be one-hit wonders! I should know, i have 3 of them currently active on all my units, and wouldn't be without them. FirstDefense-ISR, EQSysSecure HIPS & another flash-in-the-pan PowerShadowMaster that vanished almost as surprisngly as when they jumped on the scene. I even still keep Shadow Defender on another system and have never had a single issue with it that i can recall. The same applies to the other two now abandoned projects, but boy have they ever proven crucial & invaluable for my solid PC security curtain.

11. Cutting_Edgetech

I honestly believe Blue Ridge Networks would be the best company to acquire Shadow Defender. I believe their government clients that work with highly classified information expect nothing less than the best available. IMO, that would be SD! I don't believe BRN would break a good product like some companies commonly seem to do. I believe they would also do well with extended SD's capabilities. The team that developed Prevx that now work for Webroot would also be a great choice.

12. CGuard

CGuard Registered Member

I agree. That's why i termed it as "ShadowGuard".

Light Virtualization (SD) + Restriction Policy (AG) = great security combo low on resources (I like to think of it as system-wide "version" of SB)

The biggest problem, though, is the one that trjam mentions

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Easter, you forgot one my friend, SafeSpace

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

SafeSpace:thumb: :thumb:

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, that is the big problem since we don't know if those running the Shadow Defender website really own SD or not. One thing is for sure; little to none of the Wilders Community trust them and for good reason.

16. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Even Faronics, who happens to sell light virtualization software [Deep Freeze] and anti-executable software [Faronics Anti-Executable] haven't even intended to merge those two in one [an all-in-one solution].

They sell each separately but encourage users to use both together in tandem with an Anti-Virus for a multilayered computer security:

---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOJJASjJ-k

If they [Blue Ridge] would ever think about buying out SD, they should keep those as separate software and not bloating an already nice security app as AppGuard.

That's my take.

Carlos.

P.S.: Since 99.999% of Wilders SD users decided to stick with SD version 1.0.325, I see no point on constantly revisiting whether who owns SD-site nowadays. Those people have never communicated back with any of you who have tried to make contact with them through e-mail, denoting either they are not interested or could care less about it. So, I think people should keep on using 1.0.325 and lay the 1.0.331 version web-site issue to rest.

17. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Nice Idea but if there not trusted to begin with that whom ever tried to acquire it just may get burned.Sure we will sell it to you please wire cash only to the Banlk of Nigeria.o_O

18. Cutting_Edgetech

The bigger danger here would be if these people did sell the code to some company, and then decided to give it out freely to whom ever they liked after selling the code. I don't believe BRN would make a deal with anyone unless their law department made sure its was a rock solid deal.

19. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

I agree with you. Wilders users should spread the word about a site deemed untrusted by many here, selling security software. Actually, SD falls more under computer security than someplace else.

Although, SD is known only to a handful number of people who regularly visit security forums. It's not widely known as Faronics DEEP FREEZE is, which is used at many universities, private companies, etc. throughout the U.S.

So, the likelihood of people doing business with the actual SD-site owners is slim.

Although, I have to emphasize that I wouldn't trust somebody pointing me out to a download link for SD 1.0.325 either claiming that it's a legitimate installer file unless I DO trust that person.
    Once, somebody pointed me out to that installer on a link hosted by the defunct Megaupload and, when I scanned it with MBAM and Hitman P:ro, it had a rootkit imbedded on the installer [TDL4].

Carlos

20. Cutting_Edgetech

I have a copy of most builds of SD. I have a huge archive of software.

21. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

O ya your right,I didm't think of that.That would be real bad.

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

23. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Or ask tzuk to make Sandboxie support system wide sandboxing. :D. AFAIK, he already did it in the beta before but decided to change his mind.

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I arrived at my answer to this topic's question.

Let them both compete for the rights to it, whoever wins gains a trophy of new customers.

............and i might add a very long lived following :D

25. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Its going to be very hard to acquire software code rights from a dev that has been missing for a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.