Shields UP!! Common Ports Probe

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by JASTECH, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JASTECH

JASTECH Registered Member

It seems as though ES failed this. Can I make settings that will correct it?
    Also, what about some sort of "Stealthing" like OPP has?

Port
    Service
    Status Security Implications

<nil>
    Closed Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.

FTP
    Closed Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.

SSH
    OPEN! Secure Shell provides a secure-connection version of the Telnet remote console service with additional features. Unfortunately, the SSH services and their security add-on packages have a long history of many widely exploited buffer overflow vulnerabilities. If your system has this port exposed to the outside world you should be vigilant in keeping your SSH service updated.

Telnet

SMTP

Finger

HTTP

POP3

IDENT

NNTP

RPC
    Stealth There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

Net
    BIOS
    Stealth There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

IMAP

LDAP

HTTPS

MSFT
    DS

ms-ils

DCOM

Host

Host

Host

Host

Host

Host

H.323

UPnP
    OPEN! Universal Plug'n'Play is Microsoft's new protocol for allowing PCs to automatically discover and control a wide range of locally networked peripherals. This powerful protocol is likely to expose the user's machine to many clever remote security exploits and vulnerabilities. And, unfortunately, Microsoft has enabled this insecure protocol by default -- even if your system doesn't need or use it. You can easily disable this with our free UnPlug n' Pray utility.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello JASTECH,

I just gave it a go and passed.

I have the firewall set in the interactive mode, using strict protection.

How are you set up?

3. JASTECH

I have mine setup the same. I wonder why SSH and UpNp are open for connection on my system? VISTA Ultimate 64 here.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not sure. :D Is the Windows firewall on as well. If not, turn it on too and see how the test goes.

5. JASTECH

Normally it is not wise to run 2 firewalls. There should be a place to make these settings in the firewall. If not there now then it should be a option. ESET, please take note. Allot of people I deal with will dl a firewall and go to "Sheilds Up" to test it. Now ZA passes this test and I hate the calling home "vector" it has and you can't disable it or the firewall won't work. So, I think this will give you more customers if you can pass some of these simple to lame test that amke a difference to allot of consumers. Thanks, JAS

6. prozabor

prozabor Registered Member

Try to use Windows Woorsm Doors Cleaner.

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

ESS firewall is running perfectly for me. Can you check (a) if the test is probing the correct IP address, and (b) if you are behind a router that is set to open DMZ access to another computer on your network.

8. JASTECH

It was the correct IP addy. I am behind a router with 1 other computer on it. When I was running OP Pro it was always secure with the correct settings of course. I did the test w/o a proxy. I think some more advanced settings for those that are so inclined to use would be great and set ESET's firewall right up there like it should be. If it could generate false IP's as an option, Block subnet mask of IP for a period of time chosen ect. just a couple to look at. I will try the next beta and see what had been implemented. Thanks, JAS

9. crummock

crummock Registered Member

If you are behind a router then have you set the router DMZ to point at your PC with Eset on it ?

If not then you are not testing the PC and Eset's firewall.

10. JASTECH

What I can do is try a direct connection on my 5ghz connection and see what ESS will do. Thanks, JAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.