Shared Windows folder in Linux VBox Guest

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by wat0114, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Okay, I finally figured out how to share a Windows folder in a Linux VBox guest with help from here :) However, I find that when I restart the Linux guest the shared directory is still present, but its contents are completely empty o_O I have to run the second terminal string to view its contents again. This happens every time. I guess the shared directory has to be re-mounted after re-start (not sure about log off). Is there a way to keep the shared directory always mounted? Thank you in advance!

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Have you read my VirtualBox network & sharing tutorial? Shows how to mount the shared folders and explains about adding the mount to /etc/fstab so that the mounts are there every time ...
    Mrk

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Will have a look. Thanks Mrk!

*EDIT* okay, i saw that part of the tutorial, but I don't want the shared directory to be read only. May I ask how to create the command so I can read/write to the directory. Sorry, this is not easy for me as it is for you. I'm a little afraid of these terminal commands :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Mount it via fstab and chmod it to 777, this way it's writable to all.
    Mrk

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Just a bit much for me to grasp atm Mrk. However, and good news, I went about it differently after some Google digging and I just added "sudo mount -t vboxsf E_DRIVE /home/E:" to the /etc/local.d/rc.local script file and it is working for me :thumb:

At least working in a Virtualbox setup instills me with considerably more bravado than usual :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.