Shared Windows folder in Linux VBox Guest

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by wat0114, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Okay, I finally figured out how to share a Windows folder in a Linux VBox guest with help from here :) However, I find that when I restart the Linux guest the shared directory is still present, but its contents are completely empty o_O I have to run the second terminal string to view its contents again. This happens every time. I guess the shared directory has to be re-mounted after re-start (not sure about log off). Is there a way to keep the shared directory always mounted? Thank you in advance!

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Have you read my VirtualBox network & sharing tutorial? Shows how to mount the shared folders and explains about adding the mount to /etc/fstab so that the mounts are there every time ...
    Mrk

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Will have a look. Thanks Mrk!

*EDIT* okay, i saw that part of the tutorial, but I don't want the shared directory to be read only. May I ask how to create the command so I can read/write to the directory. Sorry, this is not easy for me as it is for you. I'm a little afraid of these terminal commands :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Mount it via fstab and chmod it to 777, this way it's writable to all.
    Mrk

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Just a bit much for me to grasp atm Mrk. However, and good news, I went about it differently after some Google digging and I just added "sudo mount -t vboxsf E_DRIVE /home/E:" to the /etc/local.d/rc.local script file and it is working for me :thumb:

At least working in a Virtualbox setup instills me with considerably more bravado than usual :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.