share your experience's Since joining wilders if you will

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Dark Shadow, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi laddies and gents,Joining wilders back in oct 11th of 2007 luckily not for help of infections but more to see what wilders was all about.After many yrs of computer experience I most honestly humble my self and say,I did not know half as much about computer security as I thought I did.Since coming to wilders I learnt about hips,behavior blockers,virtualization,Browser security,imaging programs and the list goes on.I am also amazed how many people are wilders members from all over the world not just you old timers but also the new guy or gal just joining perhaps today to seek help or advice.I think that we all seek the same things but perhaps with different stragaties to effectively keep our machines clean and learn about everything related to our computers.In closeing I will just say thanks to every one that contributes here no matter how little it is IMO it applies to some one out there.:thumb:

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Having lots of fun here and learning lots. Had to deal with lots of idiots too though.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Since joining here, I have been pleasantly surprised how many people will help out via pm's (to avoid thread clutter)

Through them I am now using restore softwares and trying Linux.

People like this are Wilders 'unsung heroes' in my opinion.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,

Joined here in mid 2005 or so, mainly in regard to a game that was giving me a gip. I was getting interesting more and more in Windows security then and gently probing the waters of Linux. Since, I have learned a lot.

The forum has always been a good leverage to what I knew and learned, since there was always someone to give good advice about something you knew or did not know.

Even today, I do not feel saturated, which says a lot after so much interaction with people. The forum is active and quite interesting and there's a refreshing change, which comes with people.

Most security forums are rather hard-set, even stagnant, same old ideas ... Wilders goes with the flow. People are open to ideas, which makes for a very healthy set of mind.

I believe I share this "ideology" - that's why I'm here.

Mrk

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Great source of information, and there's always someone willing to help out, even for the less tech orientated such as myself, always my first port of call for tech opinion, views, experience, etc. I have had lots of help from many members here, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I have a virus on my machine which keeps making me come back to read and write things - otherwise I would never log on.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

LOL,Thats Funny:D

8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I joined in July, 2007 because of the Eset Support Forum. Quickly I started visiting other sections. Since then a lot has changed (don't use NOD anymore, for example).

In this time, I found out I know a lot less than I thought. Actually I was pretty skilled in cleaning and reapiring infected machines, but I had no clue about prevention. Now I have learned a lot and I'm able to keep computers at home and at friends and relatives clean, but I do realize there is a lot yet to learn and that there are countless folks who know a lot and are willing to help. I´ve also been able to help others as well.

I also now know a whole bunch of security apps I never heard of before (mainly sandboxes and HIPS). And started testing malware. And tweaking. And supporting Open Source and freeware. Also I stopped using cracks and warez.:D

I went through the natural cycle: get paranoid, start filling up my computer with "Layers", suffered an infection anyways and now developed a strategy. Been clean ever since.

I have the same virus that Long View has:D
    And I also have came across some idiots lige huangker, but luckily, most memebers are not.

9. raakii

raakii Registered Member

changed the way i reinstall my os and hence my life too.

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I joined Wilders 2004 and have learnt a lot.
    The knowledge I gained from here have learnt me how windows works so I can use the "right under my nose" security features of Windows instead of third party security software.
    Wilders is a well moderated site and has a friendly atmosphere and people here are very patient.

11. Beto

Beto Registered Member

Wilders had been the place to go for acronis apps that I have (TI10 and DD10). After a while I was drawn to the many other sub forums and have made the most amazing discoveries, especially the unbeknownst to me: sandbox and reboot apps that have really fortified my security to the nth degree.

I usually do not log on as I am usually only in read mode.

This site has fundamentally changed my computing habits as the level of expertise of the forum members allows me to tighten up and expand my computer skills.

A great place on the web!!!

12. feck

feck Registered Member

I'll be brief and to the point:

The information and opinions here eventually convinced me (had been considering it) to invest in ATI 11 Home.

The insightful folks here essentially taught me how to use it properly and cleared up any confusion I had about effectively operating it.

Thrice now I've recovered, almost effortlessly, from catastrophic system events. I cannot express how comforting it was, knowing that I had this safety net - when otherwise I would've been completely out of options.

Thanks for the help with what is basically the best investment (at least software-wise) I've ever made.

Feck

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I too have found the forums very helpful when I've encountered any problems or just to see what other ppl are up to. Like most forums there's a lot of ppl who post just because they've got a problem with a particular app. which can help others who experience the same problem or at least know about it in case it happens to them.

But, and here's the 'but', the amount of informative threads that have been closed because some ppl just can't help getting into an A vs B debate really p**ses me off. Ppl do use different apps, usually because they're comfortable and happy with them, but some ppl just have to say that theirs is the best thing since slice bread and if you don't use it then whatever you're using is crap. This is my only gripe about the forums and I usually avoid reading threads altogether which suggest that 'x is total crap / uninstalling this bag of s***te' especially if it's something I use!!! But mostly I visit everyday and enjoy reading/helping others if I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.