ShadowUser and installing softwares

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ErikAlbert, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Keep in mind, this is about LEGITIMATE softwares only, NOT softwares from an unreliable source.

Some SU-users wrote that installing new softwares is a vulnerable moment, because you have to reboot in Normal Mode to install new softwares.
    I have been thinking about this, because I will be a SU-user too somewhere in 2006.

Suppose I have SU and these partitions :
    "C:" contains my OS/Softwares (to keep it simple) and "C:" is constantly protected by SU when I have an internet connection.
    "D:" contains the folder "My Documents" with a subfolder "My Downloadings", not protected by SU.

Suppose I need the software "IrfanView". In that case I would use the following method :

1. I download the installation file of "IrfanView" in the subfolder "My Downloadings", while ShadowMode is ON.
    2. I reboot in ShadowMode and SU removes any possible previous infections on "C:"
    3. I reboot in Normal Mode and I turn my internet modem OFF
    4. I install and configure "IrfanView" (I don't have an internet connection at this moment).
    5. I reboot in ShadowMode and turn my internet modem ON
    I don't think there was any vulnerable moment in this procedure. Am I right or wrong ?

BUT what about softwares that need an internet connection during the installation ? Aren't these a problem ? :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.