Shadowprotect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ellison64, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you don't need an image just delete it. It's just a regular file.

Pete

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Dont want to steal Ellisons thread,but a couple of general interest problems I'm having with SP and a few fixes,but not all!

StorageCraft Forum

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thanks for the link to the forum :)
    Touch wood im not having any problems ,and because my hard disk is so small (19gig) and ive never had more than 6 gig used ,i just do a full backup each time which only takes around 8 mins ,so havent encountered the incremental problem.I hope you get a solution though.
    ellison

4. Hairy Coo

Thanks.

It appears that if the computer is shutdown/rebooted in any way other than with Windows,then SP looses its correct backup tracking ability and the next backup is going to be a full,irrespective of whether the schedule is for an incremental.

happy usage!

5. Peter2150

I belive that has been fixed for next update.

6. Hairy Coo

While we're about it,a couple of other small bugs.

The log function of Volume Backup Completed has a habit of displaying the wrong log

Sometimes two virtual disks are displayed upon Explore Backup ,instead of one.

Still cant install ImageManager,tend to think somehow its the way its been written-cant see any uninstaller,therefore after deletion ,it thinks its still installed.

This is after a complete cleanup using search functions for reg. entries and for files.

edit;it seems that Volume Backup Completed usually only show the logs for the full backups correctly.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  7. Hairy Coo

Should hope so-quite an inconvenient flaw for certain usages,where reset button reboots are necessary.

It seems that any current purchaser would be advised to also buy the maintenance program,for update purposes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  8. Peter2150

I agree about the maintenance program. Good value for the long run.

9. Hairy Coo

Have just exited SP's own disk via Alt-Control-Delete.

This also seems a trigger to upset the backup routine,at present undergoing a much slower than usual full backup-40MB/s rather than 60MB/s, for some reason.

Nothing else out of the usual running in the background

The computer is virtually unusable in the meantime ,unless throttling is used.

Backup time will be about 19 minutes

An exit to Windows from both Vista and Legacy modes should be available for the disk.

Not good.Not at all convenient.

10. Peter2150

Not sure what you mean. Were you in windows or the Recovery Environment.

You can't exit from the recovery environment to windows without the backup finishing, exiting SP and waiting for win/vistape to shut down.

11. Hairy Coo

Within the Disk environment-not backing up or restoring,but using any of the other functions,which should be possible,even though obviously a low priority,without incurring this penalty.

I was checking the Time Zone.

A similar thing happens when any disks are loaded ,where there is no way to get back to Windows except reset.

12. Peter2150

I am still not quite getting it. While you are booted to the recovery environment, the only "windows" there is, is the recovery environment, and it's set up so all you can run is Shadowprotect. When you are done in the RE, you can exit from Shadowprotect by clicking on file exit, and the it will shut down win/vistape and reboot.

You don't have any other windows running, so naturally you have to reboot.

Am I missing something??

Pete

13. Hairy Coo

After I have booted to the recovery environment and attempt to use any function other than Backup or Restore(or I suppose HIR)for example setting the Time Zone,I cant exit back to Windows just by clicking Exit.

A green screen comes up and hangs.

I have to use the reset/restart button or control/alt/delete to get back to Windows,thereby the scheduled backup sequence is broken and a full backup is the next required.This relates to the flaw where the backup sequence is broken,unless Windows is used for reboots/restarts.

Pete-I think the confusion is because the SP disk is properly shutting down for you but not for me!

I'm not talking about exiting the disk for loading the apps etc.

14. Peter2150

Ah okay. That's not a storagecraft issue, but a Microsoft VistaPE issue, which they may not be able to resolve. Just out of curiosity have you tried the legacy environment. Slower, but would be interesting to see if winpe behaves the same on your machine.

I can't use the recommended(vistape) because microsoft chose the wrong Nvidia drivers, and since they are loaded, you can't reload correct ones. The wrong drivers, cause very inconsistent behavior.

It probably won't be considered a big issue, as you have to stay by anyway to remove the cd so the computer won't reboot to it, although, if ignored will boot to the hard disk. And it might not be something they can resolve.

Pete

15. Hairy Coo

Thanks for the reply-Pete,will try-interesting.

One more thing-I had the distinct impression whilst trying FDISR-Rescue,that there was a conflict with SP.That would be another example why the Recovery Disk would be needed, in preference to operating from the desktop.

Apart from all these-still think SP is fantastic,even though currently irritating at times

Looking forward to the issues being sorted out,thats why I'll be taking the maintenance plan.

edit-re the ImageManager not working,just reading Sukarof's problems with the same issue in the SP forum,which has been acknowledged .

16. Peter2150

I wouldn't think there would be a problem between FDISR-Rescue and SP. There was a conflict and Leapfrog fixed it, at least in Raxco FDISR. I use VSS with both. Just don't run both at the same time.

17. ellison64

Well im still trialling shadowprotect and have restored about 5 times from the boot disk now with no problems.I will probably end up purchasing this software.I have joined the storagecraft forum and asked a question but as of now it is still unanswered.Maybe shadow protect users here can answer?.........

Hello...

What is the policy regarding updates / upgrades after purchasing shadowprotect desktop?.Is it true that you have to pay extra ontop of the initial purchase price for these even for the first 6 months to a year?.If that is the case what justification does storagecraft have for charging for such updates/upgrades if for example a bug in it needs to be fixed?

tia

ellison

Is evry update/upgrade bugfix dependent on paying extra through maintenance?
    tia
    ellison

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Ellison,

A somewhat fuller description of maintenance is here, and I'm sure that the folks from StorageCraft can provide a more definitive answer, but that has the look of a very standard commercial customer support aggrement, which reflects how this product is actively sold. In that setting, there is internal expert assistance generally available, so it's really a mechanism to accomodate that by splitting support from the base product price.

Since a bugfix of any sort is a minor update, yes, you'll need this to cover those. The presumption - again relative to the target market - is that the product has been trialled by IT pros for all planned usage scenarios prior to purchase and it has been proven adequate for those uses.

At least that's my read. Keep in mind the target for this software. It's not the home user.

Blue

19. ellison64

I was under the impression that the desktop edition was geared to the home user though after reading it again perhaps i was mistaken :doubt: .I guess that explains why there also doesn't seem to be any offers or competition via resellers.
    Thanks for the explanation blue.
    ellison

20. rodnh

rodnh Registered Member

21. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

rodnh,

Thanks for the additional reference and clarification from the home forum.

For the sake of continuity here, the specific comment is:
    Blue

22. Hairy Coo

Ellison -the particular problem has been acknowledged apparently by StorageCraft and may be fixed in the next update.

It only occurs at certain times-see my posts

Despite the points I raised here and in the SP Forum,I will be buying because I think its the best.

I will be definitely be buying the maintenance program.

I would presume that there will be new major versions out,as Blue referred to, within the maintenance period,seeing the speed at which they are moving, why take the risk.

Thanks for the clarification,Blue!

23. ellison64

I should have snipped your original quote as i was replying in regards to you mentioning the maintenance program.I wasn't actually replying to the boot problem part of your post,and wouldn't because i use a different OS ,and have a different set up ayway.Im sure those problems you pointed out are there ,and i hope they are sorted with the upgrade.Sorry for the confusion.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.