ShadowProtect vs. ATI

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ErikAlbert, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

ErikAlbert, Thanks for the response. I think you answered my question. As to my first question above, you didn't mention if creating an image on my ext. drive and restoring from there wouldn't be a problem. I also need to know based on the last few posts, if I need to create partitions. I can't imagine why, but your posts with Pete left the question in my mind. If not, I guess I'm good to go. Sorry for all the questions but i've never dealved into imaging and it's a new concept for me. :blink:

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Backup and restore from an external harddisk is normally not a problem. I'm doing for at least a year.

I'm still trialing ShadowProtect, so my testing isn't done yet.
    I will repeat my tests concerning zero-ed harddisks to see what you have to do MINIMUM to restore an image of a missing partition.
    I won't be able to tell you what to do, if you have more than one partition on your harddisk, because I have only one partition on my harddisk.
    Personally, I think it will be more work in SP to get these several partitions back, because they are all gone and SP will require some information, like the size of each partition, to restore them properly.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If u don,t zero ur HD, I guess u will not need to create partitions as they will be already there, unless u want to change partition structure.
    My guess.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the ifo. As I mentioned I only have the C partition. :)

5. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay Mike. Erik was saying that SP needs to fix the partition table and that ATI doesn't. In ATI, if you delete the partition before restore, then ATI automatically restores it from the image. In SP if you delete the volume/partition, then you have to make an additional step. You can create the partition from the image, or create an extended partition.

That extra step and option are the difference.

Pete

7. ErikAlbert

twl845,
    Concerning ShadowProtect and zero-ed harddisk.
    For restoration :
    1. You first have to select the image on your external harddisk (= source). This is normal.
    2. Then you have to select the destination disk which is in my case the system partition, but SP doesn't allow this. So it's useless to do this step.
    3. Then you right-click on that disk and click on create primary partition, just one click that's all. This creates an unknown partition.
    4. Then you can select the destination disk. From then everything is normal.
    So the unknown partition is probably replaced by my system partition [C:]
    So this is pretty easy, but this counts only for "one harddisk/one partition C:".

I don't know what you have to do, if your only harddisk has 4 partitions : C:, D:, E: and F:
    One thing is sure, these partitions are all gone after zeroing your harddisk.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Having never used SP I can't compare it with ATI, but I would just impart a basic but important suggestion to those on the fence between these two products (or any other disk-imaging products).

Evaluating before buying any software is always a good idea and that's especially true for disk-imaging programs because they don't always work the way they should with certain hardware configurations. And even if you find they are able to accomplish their end-goal with your specific hardware configurations, they all take a somewhat different approach, and one program's method of operation may fit your computing preferences better than the others!

Just my 2-cents worth... ;)

9. Peter2150

Erik, it's an interesting question re more than one partition. Too tired tonight, but tomorrow, I will shrink my c: partitiono and create a 2nd one. THen will test and see what happens. I don't have any zeroing software, so i will just use diskpart and blow away the partition table. Then we shall see.

Will let you all know.

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

OK Peter, I'm also very curious, because I expect that it won't be as easy as restoring ONE partition and users have often multiple patitions, if they have only one harddisk. Two is enough to get an idea how difficult it is.
    According my readings DiskPart will have the same effect as my zero tool. :)

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Erik, A question on your last two sentences above. Of course I have my local disk C: and under that in My Computer is my Devices with Removable Storage - Floppy Drive A:, DVD Drive D:, and DVD/CD-RW Drive E:
    In your last sentence where you say "One thing for sure, these partitions are all gone after zeroing your hard disk", are you refering to these drives? Or are you refering to additional partitions that were made? Or both? Thanks for the detailed instructions above.:)

12. ErikAlbert

With zero tools you are completely in control, because YOU select what needs to be zero-ed. Not every zero tool can zero diskettes or CD/DVD's, they are usually used for harddisks.
    My zero tool can only zero Western Digital Raptor Harddisks and nothing else.
    So you don't have to worry about zero tools.

A destructive malware however can damage anything and it depends on how it is programmed by the evil programmer. The killdisk virus for instance destroys only your harddisk C, including the partitions on C and there are probably more malwares, that do similar things.
    Only a good security setup can avoid this.

As long you backup every day, you will only lose your updatings of TODAY, because your backup is always from YESTERDAY.
    If you want to reduce the risk of losing your updatings of TODAY, you have to put your data on another harddisk, like I did. If a malware targets all my harddisks, then I will lose my updatings of TODAY too.

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Truer words couldn't be said. LoL

It's obvious some imaging apps work great for some where others find them disasterous at best. I know a lot is said about the overflowing daily issues in the Acronis Forums, but in all honesty, a good percentage of those users who purchased likely done it on a whim. Then when True Image fails them, it's usually a complete disaster for them. Another point i would like to add. When trialing IMAGING apps, it's safest NOT to do any experiements on your active machine, another machine is best or at least a partition so you don't join the ranks of "Acronis Made Me Have To Reformat" cry often heard. The same applies for any other product. This IMAGING field is still yet not a perfected science by any stretch, although it is getting much better than before.

14. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Agree completely - BUT - if everyone followed your advice the level of posts might drop to such an extent that forums would close and then were would we be ? People would revert to installing untried and untested software on their buggy work machines...........blaming the software and looking for a forum for help.

o_O
    :'(

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for that info. I think I'm going to change my plans a bit. I found a thread to a link where I can get a copy of ATI 10 made for Seagate HD's. It's a limited copy in that you can't do incrementles or do single files, only full back ups. It's also free. I understand it provides a link to a 40% discount on a full copy too, so either way I can't lose. As soon as I check out the users manual for a while I'll install it. More later....

16. ErikAlbert

I don't agree with this. I have at this moment TWO Image Backup softwares on my computer : ATI + ShadowProtect.
    If ShadowProtect fails during tests, I restore my computer back with ATI.
    Not everybody has two computers at home to test any software.
    That's the purpose of Image Backup : save your computer, when something goes wrong during testing.
    Of course many users don't trust restorations, because they never tested their Image Backup software thoroughly like I did.
    I do my restorations without fear, because I know in advance that the restoration will be successfull.
    ATI does it always right since March 2006. Besides this is totally off topic and has nothing to do with this thread.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

hi erik, SP came to the rescue to save me from ATI disaster,and i am glad to find at last these SP cause my history off trialing imaging softwares was a long painfull experience.and off now i have some peace off mind.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

not everyone has the space for the backup images of both.
    i am in that posistion.
    i only have one 100gb external harddrive.
    i can only store one image.
    i might buy a bigger drive soon.
    lodore

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Exactly my point Erik. You seem to have had such resounding success with Acronis, so if it's proven to been that so reliable for you as you suggest..........

.....Then why turn now to another imaging app in ShadowProtect?
    Is your admiration and complete trust in Acronis been shaken?...or do we sense some hidden reluctance on your part that you're not exactly as confident in Acronis as you would have had us to believe all along?

20. ErikAlbert

I'm waiting for Peter's results, this thread is not about good and bad Image Backup softwares and your personal experiences.

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Then you admit then. Just like me, and probably a lot others, if Shadow Protect can pull off even more advantages while carrying out completely successful images & restores, which i hear also is done in record time? :eek:

I'm a huge and long time PARAGON believer which at the start i was in a very small minority of users of it. Now it's steadily progressed where many like myself highly depend on it and have experienced results enough to claim it as one of the top ticket items in this product line.

My interest in Shadow Protect, among some other benefits claimed, is the Universal Restore feature. Also it will have to priced right for ALL clients, including the lowly home user which most companys claim are but a small percentage of their takes with software programs.

22. Peter2150

On the test an update while I hold my breath.

First I imaged the system, and tested the image by restoring. All well.

Then I created two extra partitions and put stuff in them.

Then booted my BartePe disk and imaged both with Acronis and Shadowprotect.

On acronis, I checked Disk which checked all three partitions. It ran one process and created on set of imgae files.

On Shadowprotect there is no disk option, so I checked all three partitions. It essentially ran 3 different tasks all at once creating separate files for each partition.

Then I loaded up Acronis Disk Director, and did an edit on the partition table putting in all zero's(just like I did with the editor in IT edition of SP). I also unchecked the little boot box.

Then I rebooted to reload the bartpe disk and it bluescreened. Oops. So at this point I went to the shadowprotect disk, and first tried the older legacy environment(winpe). It also bluescreened. Bigger Oops. Then I tried the recommended environment(vistape) and it just hung. Not Good.

Grabbed windows CD and booted it, and as it was booting, thought it would be smarted to try the system recovery CD first. Never used it before and was surprised to see it was good old IFD(don't laugh). Realizing that I aborted, and grabbed a IFD disk I made when I first got the system.

I am now looking at a successful green box so we shall see what we have.

I'll be back.

23. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

FYI...

Tools for MBR/Boot Records and References

Mike

24. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Welcome to Virtual Machines :thumb:

25. ErikAlbert

Quite a BSOD-adventure.
    What if you backup each partition apart ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.