ShadowProtect (Trial/Evaluation) what's the difference?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Genady Prishnikov, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noway

noway Registered Member

Genady Prishnikov: I have sent you a Private Message.

Materials needed: WinImage 8
    PQDI Disk 1/2
    PQDI Disk 2/2

Create PQDI Disk 1/2 and PQDI Disk 2/2 using Drive Image start menu shortcut.

Create a folder on hard drive and put the contents of PQDI Disk 2/2 in it.

Download WinImage. http://www.winimage.com/

Open PQDI Disk 1/2 in WinImage. (Disk-Read Disk-A)

Extract AutoExec.bat and add REM to the line that reads PAUSE >NUL
    so it looks like REM PAUSE >NUL
    Save the updated AutoExec.bat file

Image-Inject-browse to modded autoexec.bat and inject into the image, overwriting original.

Image-Change Format--->change to 2.88 (from 1.44)

Image-Inject Folder--->browse to the folder containing PQDI Disk 2/2 contents, inject. When asked
    if overwrite autoexec.bat and command.com, choose No.

Save it with .IMA extension not default one.

Open Nero Burning ROM.

Choose CD-ROM (Boot)

Boot tab: Choose Image File-browse to the IMA file

Enable expert settings-choose 2.88 emulation

Burn tab: Finalize CD, 24x, Disc-at-once

New button (but don't add any files)

Press Burn button on toolbar.

Recheck Enable Expert Settings.

Burn the disk.

2. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

@aigle

The bottom line is that to restore your active Windows volume with ShadowProtect you need to boot the recovery environment CD and perform the restore operation from that environment. Perhaps the instant restore feature in the version of True Image that we were using when we checked out that feature had some optimization issue that have since been resolved. I dunno. It's been several months since we looked at it. If you like that feature, and it's the selling feature for you, then by all means stick with TI. It's a product I recommend as well, for certain needs. I think it's a pretty decent home/end user solution. It has a ways to go for the enterprise though.

By the way, I'm sorry if I was confusing, or was myself confused, in the course of our discussion.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, thanks.
    Ofcourse ATM ATI is doing best for me but SP is on my list when i buy a new laptop with Vista. That,s why I wanted to know these things.

4. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Thank you, noway!!

Pete - As for the Windows recovery just being a 'marketing gimic' that's just not true. At least not in the case of Drive Image 2002. It is not either/or. If, for some reason the selection and reboot from Windows were to fail, you still have a Windows Recovery Disk that is very easy to use and very quick. It's just that you don't have to use it each time as you do with ShadowProtect. I have restored my active partition hundreds of times without a blip using the DI2002 application. Again, it's not either/or. It is from within Windows AND a recovery disk (if necessary). Not from within Windows OR a recovery disk. If ShadowProtect offered the same, it would be even better than it is. Trust me, it's no marketing gimmick.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The only reason I said that is from lurking in the Acronis Forum, and watch how people buy ATI for some of those features, and never test the Recovery CD because they are too lazy. Then when they need it they discover problems. I know DI works simliar to the way the old Ghost did where you could image either way.

The other thing is can you do a restore from with in windows with Drive Image, and as part of the restore first wipe out the volume. I ask because I have found it better, albeit a bit scary at first, to do this.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes your right i fall im in that boat i am gonna make an image of my system with ATI at the weekend now ive got the new ram.
    but ive never tested to see if the recovery disc works.
    it doesnt work in my old pc but i havent tested it in my main pc.
    i have emailed acronis about not being able to boot from the cd but they havent replied yet.
    for the pc im building soon im gonna get shadow protect desktop no doubt about it.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.