ShadowProtect (Trial/Evaluation) what's the difference?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Genady Prishnikov, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

11.2 GB down to 7.88 GB. The USB HD is an 80GB Western Digital model. I plan to keep only around 3 to 4 images per PC, plus one set of IFD DVD's. (Of course, you could burn the SP images to DVD too, but they wouldn't be bootable.)

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So u can,t make a bootable recovery DVD by SP? That,s not good to hear?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why. About the only point of using the DVD's, is to make a copy to stick off site. Biggest points of SP are it's speed and reliablity. Going to DVD makes both of those marginal. Just this morning I imaged and restored to my external USB drive 29gb and both operations took 10 minutes each. With an external drive and recovery CD, why do I need bootable DVD's?

4. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Can you explain the recovery process? 10 mibutes sounds pretty impressive. What is involved?

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it should be sticking in the recovery cd based on WinPE click on restore browse to image tell it which partistion to restore to let it do its job it will then reboot and load windows
    lodore

6. ejr

ejr Registered Member

So where do you get the recovery CD? Does SP walk you through making one?

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

When you purchase SP, you get 2 download links. One for the desktop app and one for the Recovery CD. The Recovery CD file is an .iso file that is ready to be burned to a CD (by any CD burner that can burn .iso's. Like Nero, A-Shampoo, etc.)

8. Peter2150

Hi ejr

They explained right. it is just that simple. Actually the download iso file the is the recovery CD is also the installer for the desktop version.

Pete

9. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

So if you don't actually install the desktop application, you can somehow still update the recovery .iso disk? Or, is it a one-time deal and it's basically a recovery disk like what you get from Dell, HP, etc. ? I don't know why I am so confused with this compared to my PQ Drive Image 2002 and IFW.

10. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

The only reason I can see that you would need to update the recovery environment would be to add network drivers. The recovery environment already has extensive support for storage and network devices, and you can dynamically load (using the F6 option at the start of the recovery environment boot) specified storage drivers for raid/scsi if they're not automatically supported (most are).

In mid April (at least I believe it will correspond to the next IT Edition refresh) we're going to issue an update on the recovery environment that will enable you to dynamically load storage and network drivers after the environment has booted. This makes it even easier for users to extend the environment's device support.

11. Genady Prishnikov

If you don't update the recovery disk, how/where are the images? I thought I understood this, but I'm lost. Are the images not a part of the recovery application? If the images are on another drive or whatever, how do you make them in the first place if you don't install the desktop application? How could you have images that the recovery application can find? Am I losing it? Do I need Prozac? :)

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Your image will be on another HD or partition, yes. The recovery environment is in a CD, and it's really the program, just like the one you run inside Windows. But on a CD.
    An image that fits in a CD probably isn't worth the attention.

13. Genady Prishnikov

Bingo. That's where I am confused. You can't put an image on a CD. The recovery environment (the actual program) is on the CD and the images are on an external drive or whatever. But several people have talked about using this without installing the desktop application at all. My question: How do you create the images in the first place (to place on the external drive and recover) if you don't install the desktop application? I'm probably making this more confusing than it is. Like something for something when it's right in front of your eyes the entire time.

On edit: Can you actually make the images from the CD disk? That would explain it.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes you can make images from the cd
    lodore

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, you can choose to install it in Windows, and make the image backup there, with Windows running, or you burn the iso of the recovery CD to a CD, and boot from the CD.
    The CD now has a Windows like environment with the program, and you image the disk, and save it on an external HD (to me it only makes sense imaging to external).
    It's called recovery because you can recover from desaster with it- internal HD fails for instance, and you get another just like it. Now you plug the external, enter the CD, and load an image that you have. Presto, everything is as you left it.

16. Genady Prishnikov

Whew. I don't know why I didn't understand that earlier. Sorry, guys. That sounds like a great setup indeed. I just want to make sure about this since you can't image and restore - with the trial - without that long application form (which, under the licensing issues with Microsoft, I understand). But now that I'm clear on that - I'm going to buy. Too many good reviews.

edit: Thanks to you, too, Someone.

17. Peter2150

Hi Genady

It's very much like Acronis True Image, in terms of the way it works. Only difference is instead of a linux environment, it uses WindowsPE. I like imaging from the CD as that way the hard drive is not running anything. I love Shadowprotect as it is fast and reliable. I literally restore every image I take, and that is back to the main machine, not another drive. I done it so much I barely think about it.

One thing I did when I bought it was added the maintenance contract. That way you get any new significant upgrades free.

Pete

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, there's no "it failed on me". I haven't seen yet. Any links?:D
    But, of course, one should try it before buying. See it to believe, etc.

19. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

But their is no way to trial the WinPE Recovery Environment, right? Also, I think StorageCraft should offer just the WinPE Recovery Environment CD, seperately from the Desktop program, for a lower price.

20. Peter2150

You can trial the recovery environment. You just have to fill out an evaluation request on the website, and then they will send a link for a download of the recovery cd.

As to the lower price for just the recovery CD, I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides no one else does so why would they.

21. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Hmm, that's a really interesting idea. I think initially we [StorageCraft] didn't realize that so many people would be interested in actually making their backup images from within the cd-boot recovery environment.

I'll bring up your suggestion. One interesting thing to note is that the last time I checked you weren't able to take backups from within the Symantec Ghost recovery environment. I don't know about True Image though. Does anyone know if True Image allows you to create backups while you are within their booted Linux-based recovery environment?

I also agree with previous posts, in that you should be sure to fully test these types of products on your own equipment before purchasing. Test both backup and restore.

We do offer a flavor of ShadowProtect that is just the CD (no install). It's called ShadowProtect IT Edition. It's similar to the recovery environment for ShadowProtect Desktop/Server Editions, but IT Edition is a bit more powerful. It allows you to take hot backup of your live/hot/active windows system with zero install. Just pop in the CD, run the program right off the CD, and it will do hot imaging (you don't need to stop any of your apps). Of course it is also capable of backup/restore if you boot the CD itself, just as is the recovery environment for the Desktop and Server editions of the product. IT Edition is intended for IT professionals who work with many machines, typically servers, and so its license is a per-technician license, rather than a per-machine license. This way a tech with a license to IT Edition can use it on any number of machines. Techs love it because there is zero install so they don't have to go through any certification process to use the product. Unfortunately, it's not really priced for home/end users, so won't be what you're likely looking for.

22. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

A note on performance. If you are backing up terabyte-sized volumes to CIFS/SMB network shares, you will experience a slow degredation in performance after 200GB or so of the image data has been written to the share. This is verifiably caused (using a simple data-stream writer app - let me know if you want a copy) by a performance problem that has been part of the Windows CIFS share code for a long time. It is unlikely that Microsoft will resolve this issue in the near future. In the mean time, for those of you with truly massive volumes, the solution is fortunately very simple and easy. When you are in the ShadowProtect wizard to create a backup, specify that you wish the backup image to be split into 100GB pieces. The act of closing each split resets something in Microsoft's network code and restores normal network I/O performance levels.

23. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

Please Do. As soon as you make this available, I and many others will buy it.

This sounds awesome, but as you mentioned it is cost-prohibitive. Take a couple 0's off the end of the price tag and I'd be drooling :D

24. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Yeah, ShadowProtect IT Edition is pretty sweet. I use it personally all the time when I want to work on friends/relatives machines but don't want to install anything. The ability to image their active system just makes it that much more convenient. No need to even boot the recovery environment. No install. It's instant gratification. :)

25. Peter2150

Hi Grnxmn

To answer your question about Acronis, I believe you can Image from the recovery CD. Since I could never get the CD to work, can't be sure, but for sure you can use Acronis to image and restore from BartPe. The one thing if memory serves me right is you can't mount the image and browse it in the Bartpe environment.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.