ShadowProtect is missing an automatic verify

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by markymoo, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

I'm using SP v.3 and when you take an image there's no automatic verify ran after like with certain other good image softwares. In SP you have to run it manually afterwards. :thumbd:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That may be on their to do list, but i don't know as it is a big priority. Reason I suspect is their major enterprise clients, which is 99% of their market probably wouldn't use it anyway.

Case in point. I use the continous incrementals on one machine, and take an incremental every 15minutes. It's fast, like in the order of 7-10 seconds. Verify would just slow it down. I go back periodically and verify the whole chain.

Besides only for sure verify is a restore.

I don't think this is a real biggie for the majority of users. Most important is reliablity and speed.

Pete

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I would agree with Pete. I have been using SP at home for close to a year and based on what I've seen, it has never made a bad image. Every one that I have restored from were all good.

That said, I appreciate StorageCraft adding a verify routine to the version 3 GUI. I have ran it a couple of times but IMO, with the knowledge that the images are trustworthy, I don't see myself wanting to take the extra time to verify. I suppose that if the option were available, it wouldn't hurt anything.

Beyond these thoughts... hasn't there been some posts about another imaging product mentioned here at Wilders that would verify good and still not restore? If so, verification, in and of itself, may not be all it's cracked up to be. Certainly if the actual ability to be restored is still not there...

4. markymoo

I making this point because i noticed it today. I think when you backing up in windows it more vital to see it backed up good due to the nature of windows being in use. You leave it backing up while you get on with your work and when you return to check if it backed up good. You can get busy and forget to do the verify. The crunch comes when you restore and find out. I think it even more valid for auto verify if you backing up big partitions. Thats why i really like the byte for byte verify option of IFW. I heard of Acronis TI backing up with verify and corrupt images but not with other image softwares. I like to think of it like the verify of nero burn and it's ultra buffer. You use the pc heavy and the buffer goes down that puts a big strain on the resources so similary when you use pc at times for certain tasks you want to know it backed up good. It just gives you that gold coating to your images lol It's ok if your hardware is top knotch but if it were failing or not upto scratch thats when you want that did it or didn't it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've probably done at least 200 images with Shadowprotect in Windows. Never have had a problem. As I said, if I want that gold coating, which I do, I restore the image. That is the only valid test.

Also for other readers who might look at this thread, and notice your signature. There is absolutely no need to back the mbr and track 0 separately. Shadow Protect does a fine job of that. Markymoo put that in after extensive research on how to back up all snapshot with Rollback, and restore them. Rollback has always been a problem for imaging and his research has been valuable toward that specific situation.

Pete

6. markymoo

I actually put that signature quote as a good precaution to backup your mbr and partition tables anyway despite Rollback Rx or not. If you get a corrupt partition table, You can get your data all back by restoring that backup partition table. It like a extra precaution if the drives go corrupt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.