ShadowProtect Image Restore Concern?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by huntnyc, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Using Vista HJome Premium 32 bit and latest SP on my Sony FW Laptop, I note now when I restore my C drive image with SP VistaPE Cd, that I get the message Windows was not shut down properly when laptop reboots after image is restored. All seems to work well AFAIK but should I be concerned about this happening? Have restored some older images and get the same message now on startup of Woindows the first time after restore but this used to not happen but don't have any idea why it is occurring now. Any clues and thanks.

Gary

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gary

I see this occasionally when I restore back and forth between Vista and XP. Particularily with the Vista Image that has Rollback on it. So far I've not seen any ill effect, but I am not sure why it happens.

Pete

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I get it too every time I restore. I restore alot and have not seen any ill effects.

4. huntnyc

Thanks guys. I don't know why it started happening but no problems here. I am running ShadowDefender but don't know if that would be a problem or not because I lways restore MBR from image also. Anyway, maybe Nate from Stkragecraft can confirm this also and any reason behind it. May call them just to let them know. Thanks again.

Gary

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Guys,

you better report this to storagecraft support. It seems that some open files are not properly shadowed during the image creation.

Panagiotis

6. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

This is essentially a non-issue. The backup is fine. You are indeed capturing the system in a running (non shutdown) state, and so it's entirely reasonable to see such a message on the first boot following a restore. There is no cause for alarm whatsoever. All of your data is there, intact.

7. huntnyc

Thanks Nate and that answers my tech call. Wonderful to kno there is no problem.

Gary

8. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

This is not the case. The volume snapshot works on a volume (not file) basis. It's all or nothing. It captures all of your volume data in its current state and if that state is a hot state (your system is running) then it's expected that after a restore Windows will notice that the state was not a shutdown state.

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Now I am confused. o_O
    On my system it didn't do this when I performed various tests with shadowProtect. Shouldn't it appear always? (The only image application that I have seen to behave like that is Nero BackIt Up, but it I could replicate it every time I took an image).

An irrelevant question: Do you plan to add a feature to restore without a recovery disk. Like the one Paragon has or DriveImage 2002 had? It is the only thing that keeps me from purchasing shadowprotect. :p

Panagiotis

10. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Yup, Windows doesn't always complain about this. Without the OS source, though, I can't tell you exactly why.

I can't discuss some future features, so I won't go into details on your second question. However, we have a pretty good track record of listening to our customers and incorporating their feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.