ShadowProtect Encryption

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Fontaine, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I use ShadowProtect and would like to encrypt my backup images.
    I find the option to encrypt them once they're created, but that doesn't help much since I run back automatically every week.
    Is there a way to have it automatically encrypt the backup?
    I'm thinking no since it would require having to store the password in the system somewhere which makes it a security hole.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I suspect your right. Unless vital, I'd think twice about doing that. It's bad enough when you need a restore, no less having password problems.

Pete

3. Fontaine

Thanks Pete.

4. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

When you create a backup job, you can optionally tell ShadowProtect to automatically encrypt the backup images as it creates them using a password that you specify. ShadowProtect guards this password in encrypted form, and depends on your system being secure to preserve the security of your password, however if your system is compromised by a keylogger or rootkit or some such malware then all of your applications and data are at risk (not just your ShadowProtect-related stuff). If you maintain a secure system (practice safe computing) then you have little to worry about.

5. Fontaine

I must be losing my mind because I can't figure out how to auto-encrypt images. I used the help files and still couldn't find the option to do so.
    Anyone know?

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Did you look under the advanced tab?

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.