ShadowProtect Desktop 3 is out...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by HAN, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Please don't buy it if the price is not justified for your particular needs. There are a lot of backup products out there, as you're well aware. Maybe you can find something for less that works just fine for you. I'd love to have a Porsche, they're great cars, but I don't need one nor can I afford the price. I drive a Honda Accord. ;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Thanks Trade Time, but i'm living in holland and here is absolutely nothing like cyberpowersytem,only preinstalled OEM machines with Vista on it.Thats the fate to live in such a small country with such a small market.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I got sick from this ongoing squabble about prices,just take it or leave it !!!

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

With the maintenance pack,it won't matter. You will get any upgrades and updates.

Pete

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hi Lodore this thread is not about money,we should have a nice talk about SP,and the way it can benefit us !!!

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi Huupi,
    i know its a great product but its just a bit annoying the price went up for version 3
    I like the new features of the product thou.
    being a student i have a limited budget for a computer and buying new software is money out of it.
    i might email paragon and see if they can make me a new winpe iso once i know what motherboard chipset im getting.
    if this pc was for the whole family i would buy the shadow protect desktop myself but since im buying the pc im not so sure about reducing my pc budget.
    i might buy it at a later stage thou.
    lodore

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Iodore,
    Christmas is coming ... give you parents a hint ... it happens all the time.

8. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Be grateful they didn't price it by the megabyte:eek: .
    Graham

9. Peter2150

Is a big one isn't it:D

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Boy, is this honesty or what?! :cool: My hat's off to grnxnm for that statement, how many support people from other companies would make a similar statement? I find this very refreshing.

Acadia

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

This statement might not be difficult as SP is mainly aimed to corporate people. I doubt taht he will make same statement to his potential corporate customers.:)

12. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Ok. I ran a few more tests... (remember that I run SP by boot CD environment only.)

I imaged drive C two ways. First by DVD. This is new for SP as version 2 did not support direct burning from within the program. 11.5 GB on drive C burned to two DVD+R disks in 15 minutes 49 seconds. IMO, this was amazingly fast. It's been a while but with Image for DOS (my previous choice before SP), it was at least 30 minutes or more.

My second image was to my Western Digital Portable USB 2 drive. This time, 11.5 GB imaged to the HD in 6 minutes 40 seconds. I can't remember what SP version 2 was earlier to this HD but I'm pretty sure it was not less. So the speed to a HD is still excellent.

Lastly, I tried out the image verification routine (which was not part of the GUI prior to version 3.) I tried two different verifications. First, I verified a previous, smaller image I'd made under version 2. No problems. Then I verified tonight's image. It took 4 minutes 30 seconds and I had no issues with it either.

I have yet to test an actual restoration but I will do that sometime tomorrow.

Later... ;)

13. Peter2150

Ran my first image tonight also. Imaged from the desktop, and verified from the desktop. Restore is running right now.

When I was testing the IT edition, I imaged to and restored from DVD's. Worked fine, and I see no reason this would be different.

Need to take a break tomorrow and put Vista, back on, but then next is an HIR test with this version, and then start up the continous incrementals.

Looks great.

While maybe not to home users, but this continuous incremental and image manager sure would seem to justify the extra cost.

14. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Peter, you are just trying to make me jealous.........and you've succeeded...hahaha
    Wish I could just buy the recovery cd as I think this would be sufficient for a lot of potential users.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I used trial just to check the speed. Like version 2 on my system, it was not much faster than ATI version 7, just a diference of 1 min or even less!

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Han.

17. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I just bought it. ShadowProtect is the Porsche, Acronis TrueImage Workstation with UR is the poor running old Chevy.

18. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I second that. Running here smoothly and love the new features. Still lean and mean program.

Recovery CD boots much faster and allowed me to plug in external USB drive after I had booted and it picked it up with no problem. I could not do that with previous recovery CD without restarting it again.

Gary

19. alfa1

alfa1 Registered Member

What about intel P35 chipset and Jmicron controller? :blink:
    Are they reconized by the recovery CD or is it required a special procedure?

Txs in advance... :)

20. Peter2150

Hard to say. Wait until grnxnm comes along. Or request the evaluation edition and give it a whirl.

Silver I'd have to agree with you.

Pete

21. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

As a general guideline, if the chipset/storage-controller is natively supported by Vista, then it will be supported in the Recommended recovery environment without the need for you to load additional drivers. However, this is a generalization because we've added many drivers to the base configuration. I'll have to find the list for you. Like the others say, just request the full eval so that you can download the ISO for the recovery environment, burn a CD based on the ISO image, and boot it and see if you can see your disks properly (even in RAID configurations) in the new Disk Map tab. If you can't see your disks, no problem, just click on the Tools menu and select Load Drivers and point it to the .INF file (say on a USB thumb drive, or on a network share - use Network Configuration to map drive letters within the recovery environment) for your storage controller. In fact you can load other drivers here too, such as NIC drivers if they're not included in the recovery environment.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t find any options for MBR, Track Zero etc during imaging. Where are these options?

23. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Those are options in a page in the restore wizard.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So while taking an image, everything is imaged by default?
    Can u restore a standard MBR( instead of imaged one) while restoring?

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes and yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.