ShadowDefender v1.1.0.270 is now officially released

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nanana1, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I have Sandboxie, ThreatFire, and SD, SAS (free) and no other security programs. Firewall is hardware in a modem and another hardware firewall in a router, so nothing there.

I agree, all systems are different, even identical systems maybe put together on the same day.

2. bthology

bthology Registered Member

Sorry if this has already been recommended.
    But what is the best AV to use with Shadow defender.
    ATM i'm using nod32 with the ESET folder excluded and it still updates fine.

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I've been using Shadow Defender, and without doubt, this product is awesome! :D

There are alternatives, free and so on, but I've found it so simple to use. It's worth the small $ investment.

Using it with sandboxie and Avast!, and it is running well. Like the fact it can be password protected, so if another person is using your computer, they can't exit from shadow mode.

Committing (writing files you want to keep) large files does take awhile, but for mp3s, documents, the regular stuff, the program runs A+.

Does the developer post here at all?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

bthology, there is no recommend anything to run with SD. It's what works best for you.

No, my favorite AV is posts. They will be removed.

Pete

5. Saraceno

bthology, downloading the program gives you a 30 day trial, so you'll be able to see how it performs with your other programs.

I've found it uses about 5000K of memory, so no system impact at all, and no problems using it on Vista.

A few programs (portable) I use won't connect/run with sandboxie, so Shadow Defender is a welcome addition in using programs which access the internet.

Overall, very impressed with it and the developer has answered any questions I've had within 24 hours. :)

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

back to running and working perfectly. Tony continues to make this a great product.:thumb:

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

what was wrong before - you don't say ? I have been unable to break this program. which version caused the problem ?

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nothing was wrong, just trying other software. But it is funny, I forgot how simple but great this program was. Sorry Tony, my fault. SD does the trick.:thumb:

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Thanks - I agree the best there is. Bought a copy for one of mys sons and when he goes on line he just protects C: and D: There is nothing on his laptop to steal so he has no need for any security. When he reboots everything is gone. If he wants to save something he can. very simple and easy to use.

10. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

I agree guys, simple great program. Im down to just SD with a AV and wondering if i even need that. But i like both too much to part with either.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  11. Saraceno

No slowdowns, no problems, this program is as solid as a rock.

12. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I believe there used to be a problem between Shadow Defender and Defensewall.

Is this still the case or has it now been sorted?

13. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I don't know about in the past but I'm trying it right now with DW and see no problems at all.
    Hugger

14. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

As I remember, in the past Tony had a note on his Shadow Defender website about incompatibility with Defensewall but it is no longer there so I think that he has probably fixed it.

15. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

For those who are interested,

Sometime earlier this year, in communication exchanges between Tony and I, he stated that he has done his best to ensure that there are no functional conflicts between Shadow Defender(SD) and DefenseWall(DW), but could not guarantee it. In my case, when testing actual malware samples against DW, I have experienced a few instances where SD would suppress DW's resource isolation or keylogging attempt pop-up notifications. For this reason, I have been using Returnil 2008 Personal Edition(free) in memory caching mode as an alternative to SD for testing purposes only.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

16. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Interesting, CogitoErgoSum. I run both SD and DW from the last 5 weeks and did not see any problem but I will keep checking in the light of your observations and report here if something of this kind ever happend on my pc (XP Pro sp2). Thanks.

17. CogitoErgoSum

Hello ruinebabine,

You are very welcome.

On the other hand, I have also experienced SD delaying and/or preventing Norton AntiBot(NAB)/Primary Response SafeConnect(PRSC) from detecting several malware samples. Fortunately, this issue was addressed several builds ago. Since the bulk of my intelligent behavior blocker experience is with NAB/PRSC, I have no idea if the just mentioned SD issue affected or contunues to affect Mamutu, Prevx or ThreatFire.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

18. CogitoErgoSum

19. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks everyone who has kindly taken the time to reply to my question :)

I guess i will have to leave ShadowDefender for now then if there is still a chance of some conflicts with DefenseWall.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would dump Defensewall before ShadowDefender. Geswall works fine with it.;)

21. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Tryed last night to commit entire C(windows Volume).Several system files,+outpost files couldn't be comitted,got a BSOD after,outpost ,and a few other programs,stopped working after reboot.
    No real damage as i restored a paragon back up after but without it it would have been unpleasant.
    OS was XP pro sp3

22. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

hi virtumonde
    could u please explain in details so we can help u
    what is the degree of host protection in outpost "optimal , advanced or maximum " ?
    it's quite clear that SD encounter some problems with some invasive hips like comodo
    and if the host protection of outpost was set to advanced or maximum so that outpost is converted to a very invasive hips . so that , with or without enough auto learning period ,there may be some conflicts between both softwares
    best regards

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  23. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Thanks for the reply hany3.
    I figured it would have not been an easy task ,and i put outpost on autolearn mode during the commit session.
    What i did not do is disable it's self protection and probably that was the cause that some files related to outpost have shown an error(there ware some system files too that gave error)
    There is one more thing.Although outpost HIPS part is high rated according to some tests including Matousec,Outpost's HIPS seems unaware of Shadow Defender(there are no HIPS rules for DEFENDERDAEMON.exe ),and on the same machine ,i tested KIS 2009,which gave an alert at first about the process trying to gane low level disc acces and added it to low restricted group.
    This was a test cos i don't intend on commiting entire sessions ,and only normal,downloaded files which Shadow Defender handles well.

24. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

To be more accurate, KIS/KAVs PD give one more alert while SD runs, OS kernel modification.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yep, I think they call those FPs.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.