ShadowDefender v1.1.0.270 is now officially released

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nanana1, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Changes :

Version 1.1.0.270 - August 27, 2008
    Fix: the changes to registry database will be discarded if enter Shadow Mode immediately after install softwares.
    Add: add an option to delay a system reboot when exit Shadow Mode
    Add: add a balloon meesage when committing a big file in the background.*puppy*

2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Just read on this forum a couple of threads about this app.Seems an interesting app to me.
    I don't understand one thing.It says it can continue shadow mode after reboot,but i remember reading a comment(which i can't find now:mad: )that if you install something after reboot is gone,so what's exactly "continue shadow mode after reboot"means?

3. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I tried to exit shadow mode on one drive without rebooting (delay) and got a delayed write failure.

4. xtree

xtree Registered Member

Hi,

It simply means that you need not have to turn shadow mode on after every single reboot.It automatically boots in shadow mode if you chose this option until you switch it off.
    Of course, all your newly installed apps will be lost after such reboots if they were installed in shadow mode. All changes made to the system - except for those committed - are always lost with every reboot. This is the main purpose of shadow mode - to protect your system this way.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

If these app. can save sessions upon reboot it would be world news on Wilders. :D

6. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Except your system drive on which Windows is installed cannot be exited without reboot, other drives can exit shadow mode without reboot.:)

7. Smirs

Smirs Registered Member

After exiting a shadow session can any data be accessed by special recovery programs? or it simply doesn't exist on the shadowed drive anymore?

8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Cannot recover once you exit a shadow session:ninja:

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

When you enter shadow mode, SD creates a special file on your system where the writes are diverted. Once you reboot and exit shadow mode, that file is deleted.

10. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

This wasn't my system drive.

11. Smirs

Smirs Registered Member

How secure the deletion is? does anybody know?

12. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

How good is this product?

13. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I started with DeepFreeze and then tried Returnil. Both are now gathering dust as I find ShadowDefender suits me better. As to how well any of these programs really work I can only say I have never been able to find any contamination on any machine - although I rather suspect that this is probably because security issues are exagerated rather than because these programs have protected me. Rebooting on the other hand does appear to restore drives to their previous condition.

14. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

But what are the major differences?
    Am I the only one who can't find the difference between these products?
    Simple for me,
    they all restore the previous setting after reboot.
    Anything else?

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Ohmy, like any AV product, some are easier to use/setup, better interface and so on.

Shadow Defender does look like it's simple to use.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

We reach. :)

I been wondering the same thing and so far nothing comes back any different be it reviews or reports except that depending on which product, in some you can either save apps while shadowed by implimenting a virtual drive like Returnil offers or to another HD like Power Shadow.
    Also Power Shadow always has shadowed the entire disk and not just only the system drive.

DeepFreeze, PS, Returnil, SD, all these return the system back to a previous point after reboot.

A important difference worth mentioning though is if it protects the MBR from disruption/attack or not.
    ShadowDefender does from my understanding of it.

EASTER

17. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

It is simple to use, my Grandma could use it (shes never been on a PC). Love it !!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  18. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

Hi,
    What is the MBR dusruption/attack?
    Thanks!

19. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I installed this latest version on my Vista Home Premium SP1 laptop and find that it slows everything, not just web browsing, even when not in shadow mode. Also, system shut down takes a very long time.

Too bad...I like the UI and that all drives can be shadowed rather than just the system drive.

20. virtumonde

Maybe it conflicts with other application .i'm trialing now,i did not noticed a slowdown at all while in shadow mode.In fact besides the 'logo' i can't tell the difference.I know that "it works for me posts" are not helpful,try to disable other sec programs in case you have.This app is worth a try IMO.

21. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I had it installed in an FD-ISR snapshot with Avira Premium, DefenseWall and Vista firewall for security. I'll re-install and give it another shot.

22. virtumonde

Don't know defense wall app too god ,but from what i've read about it is possible that it was installed as untrusted process,and Shadow defender i suppose it needs some kind of low level disk acces to be able to create the snapshot and work.Hope i'm not wrong.

23. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

DefenseWall was OK...I had changed SD to trusted before installing it. There must have been a conflict with SandboxIE which I also had installed. Once I uninstalled SandboxIE, the system speed was back to normal. SD seems to be working well. :thumb:

24. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'm running SD right now, the 1.1.0.265 last version. Win XP Pro sp3 and I've got my FF3 browser running in Sandboxie 3.30. No problem here and I don't see any speed difference than when running just Sandboxie.

25. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I reinstalled SandboxIE and I get the slow down again. I guess everyone's setup is different. I don't think I need both apps so I'll trial SD and then pick one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.