ShadowDefender or Returnil?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by dja2k, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I know ShadowDefender is payware and Returnil is freeware, but as far as its support for Raid0, which one is more compatible? I've tried both and both work well, but who by experience knows which one will be most likely not to fail?

dja2k

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

ShadowDefender has stopped all that Peter could throw at it but one. And in less then 14 hours a release was done to stop this nasty. I like both but ShadowDefender is more stable for me. It allows you to go into shadowmode without a reboot, save to certain files or folders you designate and one new thing is on the way. The ability to install new software and reboot while retaining all that you did in shadowmode for testing purposes. You would then exit out and reboot and all will be wiped clean.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

As in the good spirits of Wilders, my best advice would be to try both and see.;)

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks trjam for your post. I did state in my post that I have used both before. I am merely looking for others whom have used either or for more time and state which one would be more stable on Raid0. I know Pete has used both and he runs a Raid setup, well at least he did before, not sure now. I was just thinking that besides me and Peter, there might be others whom would add to the subject on their experience.

dja2k

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi trjam,
    I do not see how that answers dja2k's question about use and stability within a RAID 0 setup over time...

Hi dja2k,
    Could you expand on your question a bit to help clarify what aspects of performance in each application that you are most concerned about as re potential failure and what form that failure might take?

Thanks
    Mike

Edit: spelling

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think he pointed that out to me in a nice way, and yes you are correct, that part I cant answer.:)

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My vote will go to ShadowDefender, once users are able to try softwares that require a reboot during installation and can get rid of it without leftovers, if they don't like the software.
    The next improvement is ... well I better wait, too much at once is not good. ;)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've run both under Raid 0, and actually have had no problems with either product. Both do a similiar job, with slight variations. It really comes down to personal taste.

Pete

9. ErikAlbert

Not a similar job, ShadowDefender will be better than Returnil, once it has this new feature.

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I've been using 'Shadow Defender' for awhile now, it's great:thumb:

Take Care
    Rico

PS. Never could get Returnil to work!

11. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Does this include no problems switching either or on and off various times to make backups since backups done in a shadow state can be corrupted. I am curious about this since Raid0 is different than a regular 1 drive system.

dja2k

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

From experience sofar by either camp,its clear to me that one is not better then the other,its come down to personal taste,must add that Returnil is actively supported here on Wilders .

13. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Wasn't there a discussion here somewhere about the lack of support from Shadow Defender (where as Returnil is well supported here)? Or has that changed now? Its the one thing that put me off buying it.

And are you guys saying it supports software installations the require a re-boot now? Sounds like a killer feature that its rivals don't have if thats the case.

14. ErikAlbert

This feature is in development, doesn't exist yet in the actual version.
    This will be the 3th ISR-software that has this feature. In fact the 2nd, because FDISR is dead. :)

15. rendez2k

Any idea on ETA or if it will require an upgrade fee?

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

support is currently very good. No you cant schedule it to be on or off, but you can exlude files or folders that any data changes will remain intact.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I know the vendor is close to including this along with another feature. I have asked today for a timetable and will let you know. I dont think there will be any price increase.

18. rendez2k

Sounds good - I will be re-testing the ShadowDefender over the next few days

19. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

My guess is that Returnil folks does'nt bite their time and actively working on something similar and great change its also free.

20. rendez2k

If Returnil adds a major new feature it sounds like it will only be in the paid business version. Free version is apparently just going to be maintained now.

21. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Is there any way of turning Shadow mode off in ShadowDefender without having to reboot?

It would be ideal if I could turn off or suspend Shadow mode, carry out my various updates/backups and then turn Shadow mode back on again.

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Still wait and see what happen, at the moment nobody knows .

23. rendez2k

According to coldmoon in another thread

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

But there are some things that are a given:
    • You can't build a viable business without a revenue stream.
    • The revenue stream has to come from somewhere.
    • Features that people actively ask for and set you apart from the competition are likely to be features that consumers will pay for.
    From here it's a simple "do the math" and pricing exercise.

Blue

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi dja2k

I don't have any trouble switching either on and off. I basically treat my raid 0 drives as a c: drive. No problems yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.