Shadow Protect and HIR

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Huupi, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hi all, Yes HIR like Universal Restore in Acronis is a great thing in their upcoming SP3,in my case i delayed the buy off a new rig just to wait for SP3 and then,yes in my innocent thought to be able to place an image from my old rig onto the new one,and just as Peter did with the IT edition it should be work like a charm.
    But as so many nowydays i'm surrounded with preinstalled OEM HP's and the like,thus restoring an OEM image from my old rig onto a new OEM rig don't work cause uncle Bill with his tall fingers wil intervene,afterall its a restore to completely different hardware,so boys i'am stuck what to do now ??

2. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Huupi,

A few years ago I bought a preassembled pc (OEM) that came with all kinds of junk installed, no original xp cd and just 1 crap restore floppy.

In case of a os re-install I could only insert the floppy and all the same junk would be re-installed grrr.

Now, if you have an original xp cd you could use a utility like drivermax to backup your drivers.Zero the disk, install Xp and restore your original drivers.

No more junk installed.:thumb:

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

that's why am i at a loss,i have no originals, only CD's ( licensed only to that rig) that came with the rig full with bloatware and stuff,it toke my ages to uninstall this crap,and for now i don't need Vista either,so i'am afraid i have to buy original Microsoft XP install.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Huupi

Yep with activation the OEM problem rears it's ugly head. When I tested HIR, the activation issue did arise, but I just defered since I wasn't keeping it on the system. I've managed to do all my hardware updating and avoid Vista, but I know what you mean about cleaning up a system.

Remember HIR is really more intended in the enterprise environment where licenses aren't an issue, then with home folks with OEM licenses.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.