Shadow Protect 5 Desktop Coming anytime soon?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by gate1975mlm, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm Registered Member

Has anyone heard if Shadow Protect 5 Desktop is going to be released anytime soon?

I love Shadow Protect 4 Desktop and really think its one of the best if not the best image software however I find the UI to be very old and out dated looking. And I am hoping maybe with version 5 they will make the UI much more modern looking.

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I use ShadowProtect but am far from an insider. In any event, I have heard nothing concerning the release of a version 5. Frankly, I have heard nothing concerning the release of any future version (e.g., 4.3.x).

If you have specific suggestions relating to improving the UI, I would recommend posting them in the Feature Request section on SC's forum:

http://www.storagecraft.com/support...ments/storage-craft-products-feature-requests

3. gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm Registered Member

ShadowProtect 5 will be released this Thursday December.13,2012 :)

We could use a lot of clichés to describe the upcoming release of StorageCraft ShadowProtect 5:
    Good things are worth waiting for.
    Don’t mess with something if it isn’t broken.
    Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

All of these are true with the new version of ShadowProtect. The new features that are in this version are well worth the wait to get the software right. We have a great product and we didn’t want to make changes that would effect the “best-in-class” status of our award-winning disaster recovery software. And as far as we know, the legendary reliability of ShadowProtect technology has brought peace—of the mental kind—to many parts of the world.

So with that in mind, we’re happy to let you know that along with the release of StorageCraft Cloud Services and StorageCraft ImageManager 6, we’ll also be releasing ShadowProtect 5. The day you should circle on your calendar? December 13. Just in time for the holidays, we’ll be giving you and your customers just what you need to start the new year right: end-to-end disaster recovery.

Now many of our partners have told us that they trust ShadowProtect so much for their backup and disaster recovery that we should change the product’s name to “Sleep Protect.” So we may not have reached complete “Peace on Earth, Good will toward Men” this year, but at StorageCraft, we’re doing our part to bring peace to your corner of the world.

Want to learn more about our upcoming product releases? We have several webinars you can join to find out the new features and see a demo of how they work. Check your email messages for an invitation, or contact your StorageCraft Channel Manager for more details.

http://www.storagecraft.com/blog/at-long-last-shadowprotect-5/#more-5929

Attached Files:

4. prius04

ShadowProtect 5.0 New Features/Enhancements:

*Supports UEFI motherboards. Recovery Environment requires BIOS emulation on UEFI.

*Supports GPT boot volumes.

*Supports mounting backup files in writeable mode from LBD drives (ones with a sector size of 4096 vs 512 bytes).

*Includes an enhanced ISOTool utility which now:
    -Mounts/dismounts ISO images
    -Authors ISO images

*Includes an automated image testing tool, ImageReady, which can:
    -Run a command such as chkdsk.exe against a mounted image or images (such as a point-in-time Exchange server)
    -Run a script against a mounted image or images (again, as with a point-in-time SQL or Exchange server)

*Includes an upgraded VirtualBoot.exe (v1.0.0.55) which now:
    -Automatically detects the target's OS version
    -Supports VirtualBox versions through 4.2.4
    -Supports Windows 8 (x86 and x64) and Server 2012 (x64) image files
    -Boots images stored on LBD (4K sector) devices which support 512e emulation
    -Boots images of a GPT boot volume taken from a UEFI system

*VirtualBoot support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. (Requires VirtualBox v4.2.0 or newer.)

*Supports the TRIM command for use with SSDs.

*Recovery Environment supports both format and partition actions on MBR and GPT drives.

Issues Resolved:

*Fixed multiple issues with localized strings.

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Thanks for heads up.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Always been interested in Shadow Protect and now that V5 has been released it has perked my interests once again but at a still higher priced solution, currently
    $89.95 USD, I'll stick with Macrium Reflect a while longer. No complaints with my current backup solution mind you, just have heard so many good things about Shadow Protect I would seriously consider changing if the price was right.

7. rinem

rinem Registered Member

I hope they dont start to changing the gui like Acronis every year. The current one is very functional without bloat and easy on the eyes. You dont need many clicks to get things done :)

8. prius04

It sure is tough when you compare Macrium's pricing; a 1-PC license for SP costs as much as a Macrium Std 4-Pack. The initial SP price is mitigated, at least somewhat, by having the ability to buy maintenance on an annual basis for $18 USD, which entitles one to all upgrades.

They could definitely sell a lot more licenses to individuals if they lowered their initial price, but then they seem to be focused primarily on the enterprise market.

9. prius04

I couldn't possibly agree more. I'm strictly interested in the speed and reliability that the product offers. The GUI can remain as it is for the balance of eternity, as far as I'm concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.