shadow defender reboot question

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mantra, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i used many times returnil and i liked , what i dislike is it doesn't support reboot

well i 'm using shadow defender 1.1.0.275 , i guess the last version

i read that it suppors the reboot

i like to use such programs to test a software and if i like , i install it

well i installed shadow defender -> enable shodow mode
    my intent is to give a try to the last version of true image (i'm still using ti9)

well i installed true image home last version , after ti to work ask a reboot
    well i did reboot my pc
    but after i did not find true image!

i mean i used shadow defender with the purpose to test programs that need the reboot to work

what's wrong?
    shadow defender should support the reboot , it's not the good choice to test programs that need reboot?

what can i use to test programs that need reboot to work?

thanks

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Mantra, I think Peter2150 answers your question in post #2 of this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=217935&highlight=shadow defender install reboot
    Peter2150 has used SD for awhile so he should know what he's talking about.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

4. crofttk

Mmm, I think I read about both Windows Steady State and AYRecovery but there are other people here who know MUCH about this and hopefully they come and inform you better here. I have to run errands so I will check later if you've gotten useful info.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I believe if you can figure it out Windows Steady State will do what you want as will any of the Rollback RX family. Also a vm machine is a good alternative.

With SD, you can't install something that requires a reboot to install, period.

Pete

6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Pls see my signature for alternatives

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes, ShadowUser Pro. The gripe is that SU has not been updated for a l-o-n-g time.:p

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

And remember, many times when a program says you must reboot, you really don't. Some programs do require a reboot, but more than half (just a guess) don't. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know, but I understand that a reboot sets something in the registry that would not allow you to use trial-version a second time, for example. But the program will still work fine without the reboot. You just have to try and see.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I would normally recommend ShadowUser as it is still doing a wonderful job on my XP machine. Unfortunately not only it hasn't been updated to work with Vista, but somebody in the Storagecraft forum complained about not working properly with very recent computer hardware (e.g. Core duos etc.). I can't confirm as my XP machine is from 2005, but I'd believe the poster.

Storagecraft's attitude about SU is irritating to say the least, they don't seem to care anymore, but they are still selling it.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You can try FirstDefense PC Rescue, it is absolutely perfect to test applications that need a reboot. It involves a little bit more than a reboot (if you don't want to keep the application), but it is still faster than an imaging program, but not as fast as ShadowUser (Although FD PC Rescue allows you to do a lot more than SU).

Windows SteadyState is free and does allow reboots like SU, but when I tried it (May this year, so may be it is different now) reboots from protected mode to normal mode were taking up to 6 minutes. I like to reboot from shadow sessions frequently, and 6 minutes is too long for me, it might be okay for people who like to remain in shadow mode the whole day.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  11. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Shadow User , is a old piece of software , but even now it leads the lite virt. apps.

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    windows steady state is easy to remove or can mess up my windows xp
    i don't trust so much about microsoft
    windows steady state so let me test a program that need rebbot like true image (last version)?

thanks to all

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I realize you can't get FDISR anymore, but a similar app that uses snapshots would do the job for you. When I want to try an app, I boot to one of my snapshots and install it. After a reasonable amount of time using the app, I can copy the snapshot to my primary if I like it, or I can copy my primary to the test snapshot to get rid of it if I don't like it.

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but can FDISR restore everything ? like returnil ?

15. crofttk

Yes, everything, unless you have specified folders to be anchored, i.e., excluded from snapshots. It's basically like having a whole other machine or OS. For test purposes or other purposes you can create an emtpy snapshot and do a fresh install of your OS and just keep that "clean" OS snapshot handy or as an archive to copy in and test whatever you want in it, then blow it away and recopy the clean OS snapshot again and try again.

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but it's pretty old, which is the last version ?
    i guess i can't find it or?

i know it change the mbr

thanks

17. crofttk

I am one of the original registered users of the full FD-ISR Raxco version and have the good fortune of limited support and updates from Leapfrog Software whose rep Todd has a forum here on Wilders, I am running version 3.31.233, but my understanding is you can NO LONGER purchase the original "full" FD-ISR. There are more limited versions of this software still available, I THINK, from Horizon Data Systems (I think that's right) and I think that may be the "FirstDefense PC Rescue" that Osaban referred to above. I'm not sure of the quality of HDS' support of this product and it may only permit one backup snapshot - but don't take my word for it, as I am a spoiled charter member of the full blown FD-ISR.;) Other members may be able to fill you in.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I believe the new copy allows 2 snapshots.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Unless it's changed it's two snapshots. The original and one copy.

Pete

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks to all
    which is a wm easy to install and to use?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.