Shadow Defender kicks @ss

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Saraceno, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i am not sure ppl should consider SD "kick ass" since it developer promise long time ago that SD will SUPPORT reboot (after install new software) and continue the "shadow mode".
    as far as i remember he said it be in the start of 2009.... and he didn't kept his word on it.
    so what we got in here is a cripple products with limits test capillarity:doubt:
    so ppl with little brain up there should never mark it "kick ass" from the first place , its just another boot to restore software like many many out there..

cheers

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

How many products that you want to "test" really require reboot? Even most that SAY they do, really don't. Just hit no, open the program and move along. Granted, a few really do require a system reboot, but they're few in number. It sounds like (maybe?) you want something that you can just use "trial" software over and over without paying for it?

If you really want to "test" something requiring reboot and you don't want it written to your system. Just make an image prior to testing and then reinstall image after you're through testing. Unless...the real aim is what I stated above.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Apparently your definition of kick@ss is different from many others. As they say, "one mans trash is another mans treasure" :)

Sul.

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Obviously this method isn't foolproof as some applications install files outside of the program files directory as well as within.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Oh yes, absolutely. But, is it portable then? What I mean is, using SD to get a portable program can be done without SD. You can do it manually or use vmWare or SBIE, many ways. Typically, if it is considered portable, everything it needs is in one directory. As you say though, often there are dependencies that are located elsewhere. It is also often that if you know of a file placed elsewhere, perhaps a dll placed into sysdir, you can copy that dll into the program directory, and if it finds the library in its home directory it will use it without seeking it within sysdir. Some applications are hardcoded to only look for it in sysdir, others, IMO better ones, first seek it in thier own dirctory first, then if not found look to path directories.

But foolproof, no. It is quite convenient though as you can install it in the real system and not have to use SBIE or the like. At least I like doing that lol.

Sul.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

SD works fine with FDISR. Had no issue boot time defrags either.

Pete

7. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

Thanks!

8. demoneye

yo man, you get it all wrong , EVEN if there is 1 software i badly want , and it required reboot , SD sux hard for me. right?!

and what the "It sounds like (maybe?) you want something that you can just use "trial" software over and over without paying for it?"
    wtf man?!

i talk on SD and same like it software (deep freeze,returnil...etc) limitation , and u come up with such nonsense.

BTW : ppl can use any kind of VM (VB,Vware...etc) to test software (yeah, some for free) so no need for this SD "kick ass" limited and cripple software hehe :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  9. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

demoneye, but do you think most people are going to run VM to try a program they really want? You're living in fantasy world if you think the regular user is going to do that.

And if the program is something you really want, you're going to read reviews on it, see other users who are satisfied with the program, and you'll just install the program how you normally would. And use something like the standard uninstaller, or even revo uninstaller to remove deeper files.

Let's not get into the routine of paying out on products we don't personally use. Person A uses XYZ, so only XYZ is the best. I'm not saying it's the best program out there, I'm saying, out of many I've tried, it is pretty damn good.

So for those who use Shadow Defender, if it serves their purpose well, then yes, it's great. Kick ass. If that means I, or they have little brains, so be it. :)

It's good we have opinions. You have yours, I have mine. Realise they're not facts, but just opinions. So don't get your panties in a twist. ;)

10. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Most peoples eyes glaze over when you say the word virtual. Machine is lost after that point. lol.

Sul.

11. mark.eleven

mark.eleven Registered Member

While I like Shadow Defender very much as it has auto-commit function, I couldn't get it work on my notebook which is running on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2.

Nonetheless, Tony gave superb support via email to try help solve the problem.

Generally I believe Shadow Defender is a very fine software and is compatible with most other softwares, as can be seen from all the rave reviews here in Wilders. But end of the day, it really depends on your system.

12. Saraceno

Agree with you Mark - some software, even one I'm wanting to work at the moment, will not even work if I install just that one program and nothing else.

But SD isn't the alternative to VM - it's added convenience and protection for users who want to keep browsing the web (or even wanting to test out game), with all their regular programs installed.

13. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Didn't like the title of this thread, arrogant and offending.
    Hence, not surprised with the all arguments voiced:ninja:

14. Saraceno

Considering how many questions are raised about giving someone better protection while online, why not see how much others enjoy a relatively unknown program.

That isn't offensive is it? The first offensive comments came from someone saying the original poster has a little brain, that original poster being me. Not going to bother me in the slightest, even though that was a personal comment. I know demoneye doesn't know me personally, so it's all cool, he's fine with me.

I'm just enthusiastic about supporting a smaller developer whose program delivers the goods without dramas. That is, it's easy to use. I'll say the same about DefenseWall.

I mean, I've show some friends, all you have to do is click one button, 'shadow drives', and you can play all the online games you please, watch any clips you want, and you're system that you've saved and paid a lot of money for, will be safe. And with DefenseWall, all you have to do is just do what you regularly do, and you'll be fine!

I mean, everywhere I look the larger companies are being promoted on every PC/IT site, they have the budget for marketing, where the smaller developers only have a handful of users to help them earn a living. They would most likely post what I posted, but that would be seen as self-promotion, and they'd be slammed for it. So I'm just one happy customer voicing my opinion on their behalf. And I know Tony (the developer) isn't a man of many words. :)

So relax. I didn't say it is better than other programs, I'm saying it's one darn good program. And lastly, maybe it's a cultural thing, but over here, that phrase is quite common. Just like I've read some phrases on boards and thought, hey, was that rude? I later realised it might be a cultural thing and we aren't all from the one country. Anyway, I apologise if I offended you.

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Hey TS, you are absolutely right about the cultural thingy, so no worries with me.

Believe me when I say I share your passion about SD, it's a very great and excellent product, I know:D The others can decide if they want to use this gem.:p

16. Saraceno

No problem. :thumb: The reason I started the thread was after some communication with Tony. I think I'm most impressed when dealing with a smaller developer, even if it's one step at a time, they listen to your feedback.

Hope that makes sense. Thread title was more about showing 'enthusiasm' and thanks. I spent some time emailing something to Tony, and appreciated his feedback.

17. STONEMAN

STONEMAN Registered Member

i think its horses for courses,if it fits your needs then use it,as with most software. whats very good for some may not suit others.i personally now am so used to using sd i would feel naked (not a great sight) not using it when ever
    i switch my pc on.i dont download or test much software but mainly surf the web,but with sandboxie, aswell as a few other programs i think im reasonabily secure.therefore i think sd is a fine product for my needs.

18. demoneye

man if a person want to trail a need to reboot software , why should he install it on his system permanent?and make his registry more full of un needed entry if he decide not to buy it?
    if the software some how BSOD its pc , when he install it when SD is off.. (some sort of unknown conflict) ... how can u still say SD kick ass?! very weird and un pro attitudeu got

19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Easy. As already noted, it does the job the person wants done.

If that doesn't match what you want, great, move on.

Blue

20. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

I broke down and fork over $ for SD, I like the program very much. Runs smooth, no conflicts with many programs I have running. Nice to be able to wipe the slate clean after someone else uses my machine.
    I think I am going to like this, as much as FD-IRS! But of course FD-IRS is the best.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what is FD-IRS ?

22. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

FirstDefense-ISR. Plenty of discussion. See, however, FD-ISR Totally Discontinued ? Ultimately, the current status of the program needs to be viewed as somewhat uncertain.

Blue

23. Rabiddog

Rabiddog Guest

FirstDefense, Opps ISR

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know the irs it is the tax collector:argh: :D

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for replying:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.