Shadow Defender Beta 1.1

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by huntnyc, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Has anyone given this beta a spin yet?

http://www.shadowdefender.com/history.html

If so, how is it running for you? I am intrigued by some of the added features and like th edirection the program is going. Thanks.

Gary

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Stable and working well.:cool:

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Likewise here

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

ditto:thumb:

5. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Same here. Actually I just bought license. 35$ is real bargain for a lifetime license.

6. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Just installed it myself and so far so good. Like this small, functional program.

Gary

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I had the previous build 30 working fine I think (didn't test much) then I installed this version and I kept getting random NTFS.sys BSOD errors. I just thought I'd try it out, but SD hasn't been a fan of my PC configuration. :doubt:

dja2k

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Would someone just briefly explain not for product comparison sake but in your honest opinion from your own results if this app is more preferred than say SandboxIE?

Plz feel free to offer your satisfaction of the advantages in comparison, if there are any.

I know i'm touching on somewhat different methods here to achieve the same expected results, but am still optimistically curious nonetheless.

Thanks In Advance

EASTER

9. Peter2150

Two different animals, and I see using them together. Sandboxie allows you to do what you want in the sandbox and leave it or delete it at will. Reboots don't affect it.

SD/Returnil/Powershadow, monitor the whole system and reset on reboot.

Both great at what they do, but just do different things.

Pete

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Simple enough and forthright answer Pete. Thanks.

As you might know i am already and been a very satisfied camper with SandboxIE combined with FD-ISR (Genuine), but was curious anyway since i know little of SD nor feel any need to add anything even remotely similiar to PS/Returnil seeing as Deep Freeze is already my chief Boot-To-Restore routine.

Still, including yourself, users/members of it seem SD is exceptionally well suited to their complete overall protection strategy.

Again Thanks.

EASTER

11. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

Did you ever try the new feature that can save the changes when exit the shadow mode?

I met the similar issue when I try that feature. it said the ntdll.dll is incorrect in the black screen. :'(

12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Actually I got the BSOD ntfs.sys error not even doing anything. It was just random and it said it was a hardware error and since I have RAID0, maybe it doesn't like my motherboard's Intel ICH5R driver. I had an incident with the previous build 30 where it messed up my partitions in my RAID0, but don't know what happened there either. I did get to install build 30 without an issue once and it ran fine, but like I said, didn't test it much. I don't have time at the moment to try this beta out again but I will later.

dja2k

13. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

hi all

from the way i see it , its very stupid to run SD or other similar (returnil etc) in beta/alfa condition.

leaving your pc for the "good luck" of those beta is irresponsible

ps. this new beta act in some part wierd like reboot pc when its run out of space in its protected (shadow) drive ;)

i top install them check for some times remove and install a final ver of one of them ( in my case is DF)

cheers:)

14. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes....tried the new feature to save changes when exit the shadow mode.
    Working well for me but I don't like the long time it takes as it saves the entire windows session rather than the changes made.

Other than time taken to save, there is no other problems....working well:cool:

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

You can choose not to use the beta but please refrain from calling stupid users here who volunteers to test their beta. Lucky for you, this is not the Returnil thread where betas after betas are being tried and tested. You won't be spared there for making such a comment.

Again, it's your choice to make, nobody's forcing you and likewise you should not force a "stupid" tag on those who choose to.:gack:

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb:

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

LIKEWISE.

In case it eluded you, if not for the Beta Testers there wouldn't be such STRONG innovations with the same EXCEPTIONAL improvements that you enjoy yourself demoneye.

Consider that before knocking the membership and discouraging against trying betas.

Today's BETA'S are for more safe than in years past anyway due to INCREASED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE.

I would have voted in favor of <snipped> to such remarks.

18. Peter2150

Actually Easter, I partially agree with Demoneye on beta's. Is it foolish to run them...absolutely not. But is it foolish to run them without a fall back plan. Absolutely. I always assume any new beta can hose my machine. It has happened.

Pete

19. demoneye

yo mann aint call noone "stupid" so plz dont say what i didnt say.

i said is stupid to use beta as a prime line of defence. i said install for testing objective and when finish reinstall the final ver of any of them ( my case DF)

i also report on bugs i found in SD to owner. but never leave security beta progs on my pc and go to sleep

cheers

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

After reading this I agree with Demoneye that he wasnt calling users stupid, but the practice of using beta as your only line of defense, stupid. Which I agree and disagree with. Some betas are not a issue and some are.:rolleyes:

21. Peter2150

Whether using beta's for primary defense or not depends on one thing. Point of beta's is to test them. If they run okay, and you test to see if they do what they should why not leave them on. If you can't test them, then why bother.

Pete

22. demoneye

in such protection like SD and similar the matter of time is forsook.
    its not a firewall u have to leave it and check logs and resistibility etc...

with SD its a matter of playing on line and see its instant react for modifications.

cheers

23. Peter2150

Not sure I understand what you mean, but i install an SD beta in a VM machine, and then test all it's functions, such as commit, recovery etc. If I see no issues then I install on desktop, and run it. Always have backup images just in case. Not had any problems.

Pete

24. demoneye

yes pete this is 1 way to check on VM . .. i always check on the real pc or in my sec pc. always keep latest image backup just in case :)

25. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Have anyone else somekind of memory usage problems with nvsvc32.exe? It's a process that belongs to the NVIDIA graphics card drivers. It uses almost 290MB memory ATM. Actually I can disable that service easily but I just want to inform others and ask if someone else have same kind of problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.