Shadow Defender 1.1.0.258 and other minor change releases

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by pidbo, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Re: ShadowDefender 1.1.0.264 is now out !

Glad I am not alone here. similar question In my post #39

2. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

i didn't know that b4 about returnil free
    if u r right , so my previous statement is not procise
    sorry

3. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

so the claimed bug from our friend Alloucho is not real
    i'm sure he did something wrong
    thanks ErikAlbert , good job

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

It is not a bug. Probably he entered in shadow mode before the installation program had the chance to create the shorcuts. The installer had not complete it's tasks.

It was a user fault, not a bug of shadow defender. ;)

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I gave SD the time to install itself and I did even an extra reboot besides the install reboot to make sure SD was properly installed. And I have a clean image of course without garbage or malware.

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi Erik,

I was refering to this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1269123&postcount=10

7. ErikAlbert

8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Hi ErikAlbert,

Thanks for your comprehensive test which confirms our belief that SD is working well :thumb: and refuting Alloucho's misleading claims.:thumbd:

It would be true that for many of problems described in this forum, the root cause of those problems is the users themselves with their unique computer systems and software.:cool:

True as it may be, Alloucho should just opt to stay with DF. Having some ISR protection, be it SD or DF, is much better than no ISR protection*puppy*

9. ErikAlbert

I had to do these tests, because my first opinion was based on second hand info, while other members were saying it wasn't true. The only way for me to verify this was doing my OWN tests. :)

10. munckman

munckman Registered Member

Thank you Erik, as usual, you never put forth crucial information without thoroughly testing it yourself. This is much appreciated and encourages others to do the same.

11. ErikAlbert

Yes I advice other SD-users to do the same. There is a big difference between "using SD" and "testing SD".
    1. When you are "using SD", you only use the functions you need and nothing else.
    2. When you are "testing SD", you use ALL the functions, even when you won't use them in practice. You also try to break SD on purpose in order to find bugs, compatibility problems with security softwares, possible backup/restore problems, etc.
    So "testing SD" takes alot more time than "using SD", especially if you have to do this alone.
    If SD-users organize themselves a bit and they do each a part of the testing, SD can be tested thoroughly in a very short time.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The effort is all well and nice but FD-ISR (Genuine) still outshines them all, and remains unmatched for a long time to come IMO.

13. munckman

munckman Registered Member

Erik,

I particularly agree with the part in #2 about "testing all the functions." In my case I had a big problem with not being able to sort the Exclusion List and mentioned it earlier in this thread. Guess what. It has been addressed in the recent 1.1.0.264. Automatically even. As nice as this is for users, it really had little impact on the overall usability of ShadowDefender.

Do I think my mentioning it here had any impact this being addressed? Heck no - it was a glaring deficiency that was probably on the to-do list for quite some time. The timing did make me feel good though.

ShadowDefender is a program that I use on-the-fly and when I am unsafely surfing or installing programs that do not require a reboot, as a supplement to FD-ISR. This works well for me but to be honest I have not implemented any other types of "across reboot" solutions adequately. I have tried to but I have never really given any method the due diligence that they deserve. In other words I know the theory but have not learned the idiosyncrasies of the various solutions and probable viable approaches. Unfortunately, all I found were the shortcomings and did not investigate further.

Simply lazy I guess. And I am somehow more comfortable using this combination to say FD-ISR and Sandboxie. I realize that I may be more prone but like I said, I'm more comfortable with SD and that, I believe makes me secure simply due to the fact that I "think" I know what I am doing. Yes I realize that is probably my biggest mistake - a false sense of security. I really do not compare ShadowDefender to Sandboxie even though they can be used similarly in many circumstances.

14. ErikAlbert

Indeed you can't compare SD with SB.
    SD = recovery and keeps your entire system partition unchanged, but only after reboot, not between two reboots, where the virtual version changes.
    SB = security and isolates good and bad objects in a sandbox to make them immediately harmless and only for sandboxed applications.
    SD can't do what SB does and SB can't do what SD does.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter, aside from being irrelevant, it isn't quite true. Try running the trojan Killdisk, using FDISR alone and see what happens. SD, does protect against these low level attack vectors, and FDISR does not.

Pete

16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I agree it remains unmatched

as probably one of the most overrated pieces of software I have ever owned (IMNSHO)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  17. Peter2150

Please no further "lovefest" FDISR posts.

Pete

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Agreed.

I try NOT to emphasize as much on the MBR attack vector of this limitation KillDisk (and others) can enjoy on FD-ISR and other because of it's remote potential but theres no question from what I been reading lately across other boards malware pushers are implimenting this technique on a higher scale rather then randomly, so your point is noted.

This is behind my wishlist that some developer would devise a single standalone or installer app to protect this very serious area for compromise.

In light of that, yes it's a very good thing SD addresses such potential and YES, i have tried running that obnoxious KIllDisk as i think you know, and even recently with equal (Ugh) results.

In my opinion this is far too vulnerable and an immediate threat along the same lines as a file infector virus where no AV could successfully clean affected executables.

It's a rotten piece of destructive code no doubt and at leaat ShadowDefender for one is taken the initiative to address it.

My problem and the problem with other customers/users is having to add a whole new program just to protect this single (serious) vulnerability that other programs cannot at this writing at least, are unable yet to offer.

EASTER

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

All I know is the latest release from Tony is very stable and has worked flawlessly on my computers for the last few days.:thumb:

20. Peter2150

Like wise here. No issues at all.

Pete

21. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Yes. the new build 264 is so far so good. except...
    one isolate report claiming cs.exe is still bypassing(penetrating) SD, and causing BSOD, rebooting.

Who knows, it could be an isolated incident and very much localized. :)

22. ErikAlbert

cs.exe = malware ? No problem for AE.
    I don't expect from SD to protect itself against malware, including killdisk, that's the job of security softwares.
    ShadowProtect doesn't protect itself against malware either, why should ISR do this.
    Does each software have to become a scanner ?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  23. Peter2150

There is a difference. SD doesn't scan it re directs disk operations, so it should redirect all of them.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Peter, I am back to running it and nothing else. I will bust Tonys chops when he gets it wrong, but he has proven that he is continuing to make it grow.

25. Peter2150

ROFL. I agree, so far so good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.