Sexist tweets cost Business Insider exec his job

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SweX, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/10/technology/business-insider-cto/index.html

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If he got fired for those tweets, then Business Insider is far too sensitive; or, at least, too heterophobic.

:thumb: :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Umm, failing to take a woman seriously because she's a woman is misogyny, by definition. How'd you like it if a woman dismissed everything you said because you're a dude and dudes are stupid?

Edit: and Dickinson's jokes are misogynistic. Very much so. I wouldn't want a guy like that hanging around my workplace, never mind being CTO; his conduct is unprofessional, insulting, and frankly intimidating.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  4. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

Since when did, "fail to take a woman seriously" imply "fail to take a woman seriously because she's a woman?"

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Since the race card became so mainstream and expanded to other minorities... is what I'd like to say. But in that sentence, "a woman" can imply any woman.

His other points aren't bad though, jokes aren't meant for those without humour. Or we could outlaw teasing altogether.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I hate political correctness. Absolutely hate it.
    Mrk

7. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Indeed more politically correct BS.
    Anyone can think what they like.

8. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

but you cant say what you like. seeing as the exec spoke..

9. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Exactly, that's what I was inferring. :) You can run into a lot of trouble by airing your views for all to see, whether meant or not.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Yes you can, and you should.
    Mrk

11. treehouse786

so if an exec said that "hitler was a hero, that all women are stupid and that muslims should be wiped out from the face of the earth" should be allowed to keep his job? ok mate

12. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

You actually highlighted the exact point he was making. Whether or not you intended it you just put genocide and being kind of a jerk on the same level, just as the PC police are so fond of doing.

13. treehouse786

i dont think he was making the same point as you have assumed as a simple rewording of my post could refute that.

who put it on the same level? because i did not. Mrkvonic suggested that ALL comments should be allowed as he said that you should say what is on your mind.

i am not in favour of the PC brigade, just stating the obvious that you should not be allowed to say what you want without repercussion. freedom of speech does not exist in the workplace and rightly so.

14. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Certainly not me, I am directly quoting you.

Had you said something to the effect of "Jews are trying to take over the world, women are stupid and Muslims are terrorists" you would have been making a much more coherent sexist and racist jerk demonstration, but that is not at all how you went about it.

Insulting a woman's intelligence and mentioning the genocide of one people and the attempted genocide of another does not belong in the same sentence, let alone the same conversation.

15. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

This isn't about "political correctness," it's about intimidation. Rape jokes are by nature threatening, as is racism.

Ever looked at the FBI's statistics on sexual assault? Ever heard of a lynching? Notice how, just last month, some sicko in Florida got off the hook for killing a black kid?

We humans still live in heavily biased societies, and the institutional bias in the US - indeed in most of the world - is towards misogyny and white supremacy. Do yourselves a favor and develop some awareness of it; you'll be glad you did, and you'll make the people around you happier.

16. treehouse786

you have not demonstrated where i put genocide and women being stupid at the same level. the mere mention of the 2 topics in the same sentence does not denote that the author of the sentence treats both topics with equal gravitas, that's your mistake for assuming.

since when does a racist or stupid remark need to be coherent?

17. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Sexism in this industry is huge. I have seen it so many times, I have had girls talk to me about it, and I have had to talk to guys about it.

I would never tolerate it. I would penalize any employee who I found out was behaving in a sexist manner, and if they were stupid enough to be public about it they'd be fired immediately.

This is cut and dry. Sexism is absolutely toxic to the IT/CS field.

I have had to fight against idiots like Mrkvonic (white male crying about political correctness lmfao) multiple times because they've made someone uncomfortable by being too cool to not be a dick.

Basically every intelligent person in this field knows that it's a massive issue - women are turned away from STEM majors because they are male dominated. Women in these majors are often treated like they're dumb or can't handle responsibilities. And when they aren't, there's constant sexist jokes being made to them, because the people in these majors have no idea how to talk to a woman. And if you don't realize it, there's a significant chance that you *are* the issue.

18. treehouse786

completely agree with you

i am more likely to be censored on this forum than i am for making the same remarks in a workplace, think about that

edit- completely agree with Hungry Man too

19. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Your point should be coherent.

Its called a direct quote taken from a single sentence, your sentence.

We are done here BTW, I said what I wanted to say about your reply and I trust that anyone reading this can judge for themselves.

For executives I would have to agree here, even if they don't like it they do represent the company and anything they say or think is the same as the whole company doing the same. I really hate the PC police but at a certain point it goes beyond that.

For a lower level employee it would have to be handled differently and consider things like pattern of behavior, seriousness of offense, whether or not they seem to understand that their behavior is an issue......

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  20. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's much more than just representing the company. Women in this field are treated like ****, even when people aren't overtly sexist - again, I see this often, guys will often write a girl off as just not being as smart, or they'll make a joke that makes them uncomfortable.

I would penalize that person because they need to understand that such behavior isn't going to be tolerated. And because having a person like that in my company would be toxic to the company, because women are not going to want to be in that environment.

In school I know girls who have stopped participating in events or joining CS related clubs because of the way they get treated.

Guys who are guilty of these things need to know that there are real world consequences. In our club that means you're talked to, and if it's serious we'll notify our adviser and you won't be getting any jobs from the multiple companies who come to us and ask for recommendations.

In an enterprise environment that means going to sexual harassment training or, if you're really stupid, getting fired.

21. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

I guess I came up differently, all of the women I have worked with were not treated any differently than anyone else. I would hate to work somewhere where your actual performance didn't matter unless you were a man.

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I think this thread has more than run its course now.

Time to close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.