Several Questions About Some Software

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Oneothora, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oneothora

Oneothora Registered Member

Hiya All,

As some of you might know, I'm a paranoid freak. I mean, Lets face it, I have to ask every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the world about one single thing to get their opions on wether it's alright to use something or not. (In this case, I been bombarding poor Blackspear with billions of questions, sorry hun. :p )

Anyway, I am posting this now to ask about Proxomitron, Ewido, Zone Alarm, and Kye-U's Filters.

1. What does Proxomitron & Kye-U's Filters do exactly? I didn't understand the explanation:
    What's a Proxy? :blink: Now I feel very stupid asking this, mind you, no mocking now. :(

2. Now my question for Ewido:
    uh... Huh? What's the active file scanner? o_O (Again.. no mocking.:oops:)

3. Last But not least, something I'm atleast a little smarter about. Firewalls :)! My question is, I run on Windows XP and it came with this crappy little thing called Windows Firewall, now, when I download Zone Alarm, will I have to turn off Windows Firewall or something not to cause any conflicts?

Alrighty, Hope I don't sound too stupid, I know my share of programs for graphics, but when it comes to security, well im a class A Retard. :D

Thanks! Take care!

- Oneo

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Proxomitron is a content filter, it filters out ads and other obnoxious stuff on webpages. Kye-Us filters filters out specific malicious javascripts that will make your browser do things like automatically download and install a trojan (for example. There are plenty of other things that Kye-Us filters protect against, but that's the general idea.)

An active file scanner is a scanner that's always active. It scans files as they execute, rather than just when you tell it to scan. It's like your antivirus that runs all the time looking for viruses, but Ewido scans specifically for trojans, spyware, etc (everything but viruses specifically.)

Yes, you will need to disable the Windows Firewall when you install a different one.

Hope that helps :)

3. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi no need 2 go nuts with security programs, if u pick the right ones you should only need 3-4.

My personal set up has kept me safe, i frequently use p2p programs and messengers etc, since using Mozilla i havent got 1 piece of spyware, Nod32 takes care of the viruses etc an Zone Alarm Pro keeps the hackerks/scanners at bay. I used 2 have Spybot but saw no need 2 keep it. Once in awhile ill check my pc with HJT and a free online scan, but these simple security apps are all that i need, you could go overkill an have 10 antispyware 3 Av 2 Firewalls Anti trojan, packetsniffer, reg protect etc, but all u end up with is 50 running process and an internet connection clogged by all these unnecessary pro's.

Zone Alarm pro firewall
    Nod32 Anti Virus
    Adaware Anti Spyware
    Mozilla Browser

Works for me, PC stays fast.

I know some people will object to my opinions, but make up your own mind, how many locks do u need on ur front door?

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Ahhh I like a couple of guard dogs alongside a security guard, deadbolts all around, security screens, back to base alarm system, and a bomb shelter, especially as I live in a bad neighborhood ;) :D :D :D

Back to my computer, anything, and I mean anything that slows it down gets the flick quick smart, though I do have a powerful system 3.0GHz P4 Hyperthreaded with 2 x 256MB DDR 400MHz RAM and 2 x 200GB HDDrives.

Cheers :D

5. Blackspear

There are no dumb questions, ask away, better this than sitting in the dark, only to find there was a light switch above your head had you asked ;) :D

I leave that for posts in Ten Forward and anything to do with Duckels ;) you'll have to ask Jimbob about that one, had a hilarious time with his previous avatar in the testing forum as well… :D :D :D

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Don't start!....pants are dry at present!

7. Oneothora

I say six. When you go out, lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. :)

HAHA, sorry, Im beeing a smartass. I wouldn't like to go on overkill with a billion programs, however if I can save my money from being used at a technician's shop every month then wouldn't you say it's worth it? However, I wouldn't recommend 50 running security programs on a 56MB RAM with dial up. For some reason, I have this nutso theory that dial up, even though slow and annoying as it is, somewhat kept us safer than cable. :ninja:

With cable, I'm just sitting there, playing with Paint Shop Pro, not even on the internet, and wam, " We've found a virus while opening application.. bla bla bla.. " and it's like.. What the hell?

Actually, I'm still a nutso afraid of the dark, so I wouldn't just sit there. :p
    Speaking of dumb Questions, I have another one about Zone Alarm, I installed it yesturday, everything went fine and then I shut the computer off.

When I turned it back on, it refused to boot up and after watching the "Windows XP" black screen with running blue dots for a while, it brought me to the F8 menu with Safe mode and such stating that... well I didn't get a chance to understand, it had this timeline ticking and I was like WHAT THE HELL, (I just hate to be timed. :() But it did mention something about the registry and rolling back something if the problem proceeded. How come that happened?

My theory is, I have cable internet, so it's always connected no matter what, so while the computer was starting, it connected, so Zone Alarm was like "OH MY! YOUR COMPUTER IS ATTEMPTING TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET! ALLOW?! OR ... DENY THE EVIL BEAST?!"
    Could I be right? :p

:ninja: Jee.. Already with the inside jokes. :( this one sounds good, too bad I missed it and don't get what mathematical equasion you just spat out. :'(
    But I will make sure to ask... this... Jimbob.

8. Oneothora

Great. Another dumb question for ya, How exactly do I do that? I know i've done it before and I pretty much got the idea how but I just want to make sure. Rest assured, I know more than I allow many of you to think. Maybe I'm just testing all of your skills! YOU NEVER KNOW! :eek:

Oh, what's a registry key?

And what the heck is ViewerMgr.exe ? Zone Alarm keeps telling me it's trying to connect to the internet and I keep denying it, don't know what the hell it is...
    It also told me It stopped port 0 or something. Im confused...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  9. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

If you've got XP SP2....go control panel....network & internet connections....firewall.
    Regards,
    Buck.

10. Blackspear

I would uninstall and reinstall ZoneAlarm, if there is still an issue let us know.

Ahhh we Aussies and Kiwis are good at taking the mickey out of someone, and this was one particular instance where my insides hurt from laughing so much.

LOL, don’t think he will elaborate to much ;) :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  11. Blackspear

Are you using the ZA Pro version (it sounds like it - it's a trial for 30 days and then you have to pay for it or it disables itself) or the FREE version?

Where is ViewerMgr.exe located? It will tell you if you click on it in Program Control and then down the bottom of the Window it will give the path of where the file is located.

12. Oneothora

Actually, the whole dos thing Safe Mode menu happened only once so far. I shut down the comp multiple times today (Going on and off to check Airflight schedules for someone and blah blah..) And the problem didn't happen again.

And no, believe it or not, I didn't click on pro. But when it had a fuss and it told me it shut port 0, I clicked on "More Info" and this is what it told me:

But like you all would know by now, I didn't understand a thing. :)

Oh yea, thanks bigbuck :D

13. Oneothora

You Aussies are good at looking hot too. :p

Tacking the mickey out of someone? Um.. making fun of them? Or...

Kiwis ? :ninja:

I don't think so either. Especially since I called him a dirty muffin as a joke on another thread hahahahahaha! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.