Seven:shutdown impossible

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blacknight, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Could be some hardware issue causing this too... If a complete reformat doesn't solve it, then that's it..

Edit: Just a reality check here.. In the time you've spent trying to figure this out, you could have done a clean install and reformat a half dozen times... :)

If it's a recent Windows Update (you mentioned others have the same issue), you might also try uninstalling the last several updates and see if the problem disappears....

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

It shuts down properly in safe mode. So it's a good chance a driver or application is at fault. I wouldn't rule out the chance of a Windows update at fault here. But I'd start by ruling out third-party software that installs and uses drivers like security products. Remember just because you using the same product since before you started experiencing shutdown issue. It doesn't mean that an update for the product that was automatically or manually applied not at fault here.

I would begin with the security products, closing out of them, disabling associated services and the other startup entries. And temporarily removing the associated drivers and restart and then the shutdown test. But might be easier for most to simply uninstall the product and restart and then perform the shutdown test. And do this for each security product that you have installed. Before the initial procedure you can unplug your Internet if you wish.

If the shutdown issue persists then run MSCONFIG utility. Visit 'Services' Tab / screen, Check 'Hide all Microsoft services'. Click 'Disable all' button. Visit the 'Startup' Tab / screen, Click 'Disable all' button. Then click 'Apply' button and restart the computer and perform the shutdown test. And this stage the shutdown issue should have disappeared if relating to third-party product install. Then it's all about narrowing it down to the culprit, enable small amount of things and restarting and run the shutdown test and repeating until you produce the shutdown issue. When you experiencing the shutdown issue again, you know it is one of the small amount of items you re-enabled last. And simply narrow down on that.

Might be faster for you to use the suggested shutdown trace, where-ever it hangs likely be the faulty file. And if it was really a Windows update causing it, the suggested shutdown trace might be the faster way to ultimately finding out the update causing the problem and removing it.

I even seen where a faulting printer would cause issues with the computer shutting down. Perhaps might want to start by unhooking Webcams, Printers, Scanners and other unimportant devices attached to the computer and performing the test.

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Thank you for your accurate suggestions. I would say an application, because if in Normal Mode I do: disconnect user and then shutt down, it works.

As I wrote, the issue begin alone installing new programs and applications. If I restore a previous disk image, Seven shutdowns normally for same days, a week, then the issue comes back. And every time I don't add any new software. may be it is a software update, as you suggest.

See my post n. 21: I'm not able to do it.

I don't use printer, neither scanner nor webcam. I disabled 1394 OCHI Controller Via. Now I wonder if it can be some USB port.

4. blacknight

I tried restoring clean initial disk image: for a few time the shutdown is regular, then the issue comes back: but in the web I found people thta has this issue since 2, 3 years: so the cause can't be an old Windows update ( my Seven would have the problem always ) neither a recent Windows update: people had not the issue since many years.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sounds pretty mysterious and confusing alright.. From your last 2 posts and others, I am thinking maybe it is a software (application) update that happens after you've run the new image for a while. That sounds most likely now. I can't really think of anything else that makes sense.

6. lurker20

lurker20 Registered Member

* Try running sigverif (from run box) and see if you have any unsigned drivers, try to get a signed version

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My desktop suffers from this issue from time to time . . . when it gets annoying i just format it. :D

8. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I suppose at this point the best way to proceed for you guys would be to view what the ExitLogs show:

In Control Panel go to Performance Information and Tools> Advanced Settings
    1. Select “View performance details in Event log“
    2. Go to Application and Services Logs,
    3. then Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics-Performance
    4. Under “Operational“, Seek out any events with IDs of 201 and higher as this is where your issue would be.

A couple of other things:

1). Make sure (if you are using an Intel CPU) that you have the latest Intel drivers. Check your current versions with the Intel site (many MB makers are tardy in providing the latest details).

2). Check that the pagefile wasn’t screwed with in some way. This can be responsible for a great many Shutdown issues. With Regedit, go to:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\> ClearPageFileAtShutdown

and set the DWORD to 0.

Try the last one first as it is the easiest to do. won't mess up your system, and can be changed back if this wasn't the cause.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  9. blacknight

Done. No unsigned drivers.

10. blacknight

I think the same.

11. blacknight

No events up 200, and all with the same date, 10/03/2013 ( the date of one of my disk images ).

I'll try it.

Done before posting the thread, see my first post.

12. Phant0m

Using Microsoft installed MSCONFIG utility and disabling all non-essentials services, and everything on the 'Startup' Tab / screen. Restarting and performing the shutdown test ... would be a good start. Does shutdown hang again?

And btw... You don't need gpedit to install Windows Performance Tools Kit (and de-select everything except Win Development Tools.) Then doing the shutdown trace shown on a already giving link http://www.msfn.org/board/tutorials...-7-bootshutdownhibernatestandbyresume-issues/

13. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Blacknight- What CPU and Motherboard do you have?

14. blacknight

Mobo: ASUSTeK P5K
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz

15. Phant0m

That question is irrelevant. Shutdown slowness and hangs are experienced by no specific CPU and motherboard.

Blacknight, you not going to have this problem effortlessly resolve itself. You going to need to-do some leg work if you don't want to keep restoring images.

You already have the information needed to troubleshoot this problem. Prolonging, thinking someone will post a quick fix to your type of issue will prove to be exhausting.

Wish you the best on your experiences.

16. blacknight

I knew it, but my prompt dosn't work, also if I gave it the right path in System ( %SystemRoot%\;%SystemRoot%\System32 )

17. Phant0m

What exactly do you mean by it doesn't work? Missing cmd.exe ?

18. blacknight

I run it as admin, but at some command it gives me the message ".... is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file. "

19. Phant0m

- Using Microsoft Run, for the open field type in and execute the following; %SystemRoot%\system32
    _ Does it bring up Windows Explorer to your \system32\ folder? Or some error?

20. blacknight

No error, it bring up to \system32\ folder.

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If you create a new user with rights, does it shutdown on the new user after you have booted into it and tried to shut down?

You can always delete the account after the test.

22. Phant0m

I suppose command prompt shows up but with the error message on the Command Prompt screen? Will need the full error message in order to troubleshoot properly your experiences.

23. blacknight

As I posted: " xbootmgr -trace shutdown......is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file. "

24. Phant0m

After you installed Windows Performance Tools, did you restart the computer?

On the Command Prompt screen enter set Path and respond back with the results. I think your missing WPT folder in the PATH variable.

25. blacknight

Done: " Path:C:\Windows\;C:\Windows\System32
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;:VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC ".

Never installed Windows Performance Tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.