Setup for full and incrementals?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rkruz, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

To do a once a month full backup and daily incrementals would you set up a schedule for True Image like this.

2 different schedules and both to the same file name.
    schedule 1 is a full backup on the 1st monday of a month to file name "MOMS".
    schedule 2 is a incremental at 3pm every day to file name "MOMS".

I guess In not sure if I should use the same file name for both. DOes True Image then know and automatically add new file names for each incremental?

thanks for any tips

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

When you set up Schedule 2, just make sure you point it at the Full Backup File you have or will make with Schedule 1. If the Full one doesn't exist, then yes, specify the exact same folder and name as you did for Schedule 1.

3. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

very nice help..thanks!

I take it that if you start from scratch setting up only an incremental that it will not do a full backup?

4. crofttk

I've never tried that but I suspect that you'll only get as far as a warning that it can't find the full backup to base the incremental on.

Best of luck !

5. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

OK..thanks.

when you repeat a full backup, in my case each month, how does Acronis handle that? I dont like the idea of writing over the only complete backup. Does it increment the file name automatically?

thanks again

6. crofttk

If you repeat a Full backup only from the Scheduler, yes, it overwrites the prior full and, I almost certain it also wipes out the earlier incremental backups (of the same name) since you are about to make them obsolete.

I believe this is why some people write batch files to run before scheduled backups (in the Acronis "Pre/Post Commands" options) which move the older backup to another folder or rename it something else.

7. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

OK...so the Pre/Pst Commands give you the ability to manage old backups then? Ill take a closer look at that.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.