Services like URLVoid "Reliable" ??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Yesterday i have done some thorough testings on URLVoid services by throwing lot of malicious address in their so called Check Reputation of Domains and Subdomains service.. and to my surprise i have found that many infected website got clean reputation ... I am not sure whether they do scan every website in real-time or whether they store old cache data of each analysed website..

I have an example of a Website (German Proxy Website) which is infected with an Exploit. This exploit kit was first noticed on 2010-04-06 on Virus Total and unfortunately only 18 vendors, till date, was able to detect it.. What a sad dilemma.. After that i have tested it on URLVoid and found that only "TrendMicro Web Reputation" DETECTED this exploit ... And detection rate is 1 / 16 (6 %) .. Now i got confused whether these services actually do scan website in real-time or they working on the same old methodology ... Right after this i captured lot of infected website and received some shocking results.

Here are the screen-shots...

Attached Files:

2. malexous

malexous Registered Member

3. AvinashR

What's more funny that, exploit is still there and only 18 vendors are able to detect it . ..

PS: This exploit is first seen on 6th April 2010 ...

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I tested it with Linkscanner, and according to it, it's clean. This is not to say it's clean. Just saying what Linkscanner reported.

I wonder why in your virustotal result, AVG detected it? For what I know, Linkscanner is the only component that detects exploits, insn't it?

5. AvinashR

Even i am bit confused because on URLVoid TrendMicro detected this exploit but in VT it goes undetected ...

6. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

7. AvinashR

So its 19 now.. I guess vendors are noticing this ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.