Services: difference between manual and automatic?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jo3blac1, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Okay I have a question and I can't seem to figure out. In terms of CPU usage and I/O writes, what is the difference between:

- manual
    - manual started
    - automatic
    - automatic started

Does a service in manual still consumes CPU or I/O? How about automatic? And now manual started vs automatic started? Any difference in terms of CPU usage or I/O?
    I checked the blackviper website and it only mentiones about RAM, which I don't really care about.

2. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

When it's in Manual it doesn't consume CPU or I/O unless it's started. Automatic means it'll start every time your system starts with one caveat - some services will attempt to start in Automatic but if there's nothing for them to do they stop. Manual means they'll start if something else needs them, an application or another process or if you start it manually, then they stop when they're no longer needed. I think some services that are started manually might not stop again unless you do it yourself or when you shut down, but I'm not positive on that. You might keep an eye on any you think might be consuming excess resources.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

This doesn't exactly answer your specific question, but it might help steer your search for info. And if you're already aware of what I'm about to describe, my apologies.

As I understand it, automatic services are loaded when Windows starts, so except in rare cases (like when you manually close one) there's no diff between automatic and automatic-started.

So-called "manual" services are normally closed, and open only when actually needed. If things are working right, they should close themselves again when no longer needed.

So it seems that among the 4 conditions, the only difference is between manual-closed and manual-open, and how much difference in CPU and Ram usage would almost certainly depend on the specific service.

Hopefully someone else will be along to give you a more definitive reply.

(Edit, a full day later) Sorry, I meant that the only difference in CPU and ram usage is between open services and closed ones. How and when they're opened shouldn't make a difference from that aspect.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.