Server 2003 - GhostWall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Palace, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palace

Palace Registered Member

Hi There

I've been looking for a simple firewall for a Server 2003 box and been trying out GhostWall. It's seems OK but looks like you can't set a range of IP's to block in the rules. i.e I want to block say 200.0.0.0 to 224.255.255.255.

Have others used this before or would you recommend something better. I'm also looking at upgrading to Server 2008 which seems to have a far better firewall but being 64bit might be a while before I can update the hardware.

Cheers
    Peter

2. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

Have you done a Search for GHOST WALL on this Forum ?

3. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

First off, the original version of Server 2008 comes in a 32bit flavor (it is what I'm using); it went 64bit only with R2.

As for Ghostwall, I personally didn't see much use for it, especially if you are behind a decent router. I used it for about a month before moving on. LookNStop would be a fine alternative, but in my opinion even better (and free) is Comodo.

4. Palace

Palace Registered Member

Hi Guys

Thank you for your replies.

Bill G - Yes I have.

cruelsister - The router they have is not much chop (it has no firewall) as they are only a small business, hence the firewall. I will have a look at Comodo but I thought the free firewall didn't support server 2003. Anyway I'm thinking the best option is to tell them to spend some money on a decent router.

Thanks again guys
    Peter

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

As Comodo is working fine on my server2008 set, it should be fine on S2003. Give it a whirl!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.