Seriously is fprot enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon Phoenix, Dec 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

Jut upgraded the memory of my laptop to 512mb, runs alot better but still some slowdowns every now and then. I also have the trial version of look and stop but I am wondering if I should use SAV10 since my school has it and the instructor give his students a copy if they ask. So should I stick with little fprot or upgrade to sav10?

I do download from limewire and I do some internet investments which some sites have dropped trojans as soon as you type the internet address of the site so I do take so risk and am not really a safe surfer.

I have antivir on my desktop which I am comfy with but my laptop runs fprot.

thanks in advance.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Sav10 is going to give you better protection and still run fairly light on your comp.;)

3. Simon Phoenix

I know the RTM is much better but I have to say that maybe fprot will detect more viruses. SAV10 is nice but in the past when it was on my desktop I had a issue updating....it simply wouldn't automatic update.

Big...you still run EZ trust corp? ;)

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

No I have kaspersky on this week :D What you need to know?

5. Simon Phoenix

just asking:p

kaspersky is great but a bit out of the budget right now..maybe in the future:D :D

6. tansu

tansu Registered Member

Recently, I am trying to bring my old pc back to life. it is celeron 400 and 160MB ram, I use f-prot trial version and it works pretty light.
    I would like to know what is SAV10 you are talking about which has a better protection and still running light? Sophos or Steganos?
    Thanks in advance

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

tansu It's SAV = Symantec AV. The corporate version of Norton's parent company.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If a high risk surfer, you may need to supplement your AV protection. Stay with either F-Prot or SAV 10 and run a good Anti-trojan such as BOClean/Ewido alongside it.

See how SAV runs on your laptop. If too heavy, run F-Prot and load up your AT when visiting high risk sites.

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I think you'll find SAV 10 gives you some safer protection (as they beefed up ad/spy/trojan fighting in the engine for 10)...although running P2P stuff like Limewire...as mentioned above, I'd seek additional protection, I consider P2P users highest of high risk users. However I think you'll find SAV 10 will weigh your laptop down a bit more than you were used to with FProt. I just completed another big SAV upgrade at a client, who was at 8.1 (they didn't do 9), upgraded their large network of mixed horsepower (midrange P3's with 256/384/512, to newer P4's with same RAM..even a couple with a gig) 2K/Xp machines to version 10. As has been my experience in the past several times with 10...it bogs 'em down an appreciable bit more than prior versions.

Wether it's enough to bother you or not...that's up to you and your habits/preferences, etc.

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Use F-Prot with some of free antispyware tools and you’ll be alright. When I tested SAV 10 it was much heavier then the past versions. Both products will give you just about the same protection feel.

tD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.