Serious hang in Outlook

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Biscuit, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Outlook 2003 connected to Exchange server

I was deleting a load of old emails this morning (about 1000) & Outlook hang with a dialog "The addon path...emon.dll could not be installed or loaded." Each time I clicked OK on the box, it came back again even though I clicked it hundreds of times.

Although Outlook had hung big time, I was able to move the mouse & click start, programs etc. I could not run task manager however. All I could then do with click Start, shutdown - most of the TSR apps closed but Outlook stayed running with the error dialog. I eventually had to shutdown by pressing the pc reset button.

On reboot & running Outlook again, it checked itself & asked if I wanted to load emon - which I chose yes. I then ran detect & repair. This is my 2nd Nod32 problem in a few days. Nothing has changed with my system setup.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I sometimes get the same error when my antispam plugin crashes and MS Outlook needs to close and restart. You could try the following:

- uninstall NOD32 and reboot the pc
    - with MS Outlook closed, delete extend.dat in %Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    - run regedit and make sure EMON does not appear in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions
    - run MS Outlook to make sure the error does not appear
    - install NOD32

3. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Marcus

I don't really want to uninstall as it was server push install & will be difficult to get installed again in the same way. My main concern is that I've not seen a hard hang for several years & am now worried about the stability of the product.

Do you think deleting extend.dat will help anyway?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Can we have this thread added to the FAQ , pls . I find it useful :thumb:

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Anything like this, just add it to the list in FAQ's and I will merge it into the first post.

Cheers :D

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Done . Thanks , Blackspear ! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.