Separate account for banking?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ako, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

This is the setup I made for my parents: Avast, Vista firewall, Windows defender, UAC.

And most important thing: One limited user account for daily work. Another PURELY for banking/ebay etc. This eliminates majority of major threats.

What do you think?

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Switch to OpenDNS for their surfing, that will help make the banking safer.

Acadia

3. ako

ako Registered Member

How does openDNS help here?

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

5. ako

ako Registered Member

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

A static IP makes things easier, but you can download a small OpenDNS applet that sits in the tray to check and update the dynamic IP when necessary.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That looks pretty good. You could add AVG link scanner. You could also dedicate a specific browser for banking and Ebay, and lock it down.

8. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Yeap that looks good. No maintance.
    If you use IE8 its updates would be transparent to your parents.
    And use another PDF reader than adobe, say foxreader.

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ako,

A second user-id for banking and shopping is a good and easy way to create a contained environment

A few suggestions allready made

1. UAC lets (preferably IE8 ) start in protected mode with the lowest rights nessecary

2. IE8 has a cross site filter build in, plus smart screen filter which analysis the URL

3. Avast webshield, also keeps you away from known bad urls

4. Adding linkscanner Free would also protect your parents against exploits in web pages

5. You could take a way the right of that specific user to change the settings of IE8 in the registry of the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, through regedit, right click mouse, like
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\

6. Add Keylogger free (and only let it show the icon, instead of the fading pop-up screen)

10. ako

ako Registered Member

Thanks! Nice comments, I will perhaps add AVG linkscanner, Foxyreader, and lock IE8.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding locking down IE8 you could move the slider to HIGH for the internet zone (in security settings) and then add the bank site and ebay to the trusted zone sites list. You will have to uncheck the HTTPS requirement to be able to add sites like eBay that don't use SSL on the home page. Enjoy :)

12. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

It would be interesting to know if the parents do in fact use the respective accounts as intended. I tried the same with my parents sometime back with little success ('old habits'). Please let us know how things go in a month or three.

You might confirm that ActiveX is contained. I'm trying to recall if legacy ActiveX controls circumvent advanced protections in IE8/Vista. This is one of the prices we pay for backwards compatibility.

Cheers,

Eirik

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I can't say I trust Ebay and Paypal (and probably some others) much.

It might make sense to create one account specifically for online banking (assuming they use only one bank).

In the past Ebay once asked my to put them in the trusted website list. Of course, I didn't. :rolleyes:

While I don't know IE 8, in my experience (a long time ago) using the highest security settings in IE 7 makes it practically unusable. Of course it's possible to do that and add specific sites in another zone, but it's not user-friendly.

14. ako

ako Registered Member

:) lets see if they can learn new habits. Fortunately activeX is not executed automatically anymore.

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

When I read this I thought you meant something else. I actually have two bank accounts- one with a small balance for online shopping/banking and one as my everyday account which is not listed online anywhere. In this set up even if your bank account gets compromised you will only lose a small amount, not the whole thing. A lot of bank accounts are free so maybe it is something to check into?

16. ako

ako Registered Member

That's indeed good idea. I have also done like that: big money :) cannot be reached online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.