Sending messages via SMTP

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JRCATES, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I have been trialing NOD32, and finally purchased tonight. During the trial, I didn't use this particular feature...but I'm interested in learning more about it and might possibly want to give it a try.

The Notifications feature sounds as though I would receive email alerts and event notifications, etc. The thing is, I'm not sure what I should enter once I select "NOD32 System Setup > Notifications", and then tick the "Send Notifications via SMTP" box. Server, Sender address, Send threat warnings to, Send other warnings to, User Name and Password to access SMTP (if required)......are the boxes to enter the info in to, but I'm not sure exactly what I should be entering here.

Can somebody please tell me exactly what this feature is for and does, and then help me set it up correctly?

Thanks

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi JRCATES,

If you have the info from your ISP or email service provider for sending emails the you should be able to enter it into the boxes just like you are setting up your email in Outlook or Outlook Express etc. In any case you will need to use the information they provide to know what must be entered into each box. HTH

Cheers :)

Attached Files:

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Welcome to the NOD club JRCATES.

If you are the Security Czar in your network, the notifications feature can be useful to inform you by email when one of your less knowledgeable users has an alert.
    If it is just your computer, then you don't need to use the feature.

NOD32 user beat me to it... :)
    If you want to use the feature, simply put in email settings like you would for your email client. Outgoing SMTP server, user name and password, and where you want the alerts emailed to.

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome and for the replies, NOD32 user and Devinco :D

Since I'm the only user of this PC, I guess it's really not all that relevant or worth worrying about.

But as kind of a follow-up....when checking out the NOD32 System Setup, I notice an option for "Listing of NOD32 System Tasks". What exactly is that and what does it do? If I go to "System > Setup", under the General tab I see at the bottom the "Default System Tasks" option which is currently unchecked. Is this what pertains to that? And should that be ticked, and if so, what exactly does this do?

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

You're most welcome:)

There are some extra scheduled tasks for internal NOD32 maintenance procedures that are not displayed by default since there is no need to adjust their function whatsoever. It is safer to leave them hidden as they are by default.

If you haven't already done so, I'm sure it would be well worth your time to read through Blackspears Extra settings for Nod32 thread as it covers all the essential operations of NOD32 and configuring for maximum detection and automation.

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.