seems like someone is trying to cut off wikileaks entirely

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by vtol, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Political ramifications aside (as much as possible), the real issues can be summed up as follows:
    1, Do we or do we not have a right to a free and uncensored internet?
    2, Do we have the right to see information that profoundly affects almost everyones lives regarding the actions of those who are supposedly "serving the people" and who are supposed to be answering to the people?

Question for the mods.
    Since the political "side" of this can't be discussed here, would it be OK if someone posted links to forums, sites, etc where such discussions are permitted? I realize that this isn't normally done, but by the same token, this is no normal issue. I'm not sure there's ever been one that affects so many things and people at once.

edited for tongue biting, can't take much more biting.

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I agree, this has impact on global implications in the future conduct of government/s...we go on about corporate governance, code of conduct, but we seem to hold government to a lesser standard.

3. culla

culla Registered Member

i don't :thumbd:

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Think about all the computer/Internet connections with the WikiLeaks story......

Computer security (or lack thereof), skullduggery downloading of documents to a USB hard drive and the actions of Bradley Manning giving the info to a whistleblower website.

The website and its travails with hosting providers.

The doomsday file of information that tens of thousands have downloaded which is encrypted in case Assange is arrested.

Has any news story involved all of this in this digital age?

It is a computer security/privacy story of hugh magnitude. IMO, there should be a special WikiLeaks SECTION at Wilders to follow this story - it's that big in our areas of expertise. This can be done without taking positions on whether it's right or wrong, though an occasional aside should be tolerated under these extraordinary circumstances.

This could be our (Wilders) moment in the Sun!

LockBox

5. noone_particular

The fact that so many have downloaded that file clearly shows what most people think of using "secret" or "classified" as a means to hide corruption and lies. It's very rare that the common person has an opportunity to make a real difference. This is one of those times. Done right, there's an unprecedented opportunity for some real good to come from this.

From what I've read elsewhere, there's fake copies of that insurance file being circulated too. I can't really imagine anyone packing malware in an archive of that size, especially when there's no way to open it ahead of time. I wish that they'd have published a few hashes of the archive so we could verify its integrity and be sure we have the real one.

6. vtol

vtol Registered Member

it is covered here to the extent of the forum, but political is out of the equation - it is not the area of expertise
    obviously not
    it obviously has been, wondering what your agenda is to keep on pushing it? you believe that when the plug on this thread gets pulled they open up a special section for political discussion?

is that the aim of wilders? there are probably a dozen other platforms out there where you not only can discuss the matter in depth but also get your moment in the limelight, as latter seems to be of concern for you

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. vtol

vtol Registered Member

question 1&2 steering off topic. trust that any search engine would supply a wealth of forums discussing the subject in depth. what would be the purpose of linking them there, to start a controversy here about those forums then? because that would be happening.

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Agenda? Pushing it? I am wondering where your anger is coming from. Why the anger? I also know very well that politics is out here at Wilders. I was talking hypothetically - not literally. Have you seen how long I've been around here? 2004. Don't come strolling in here and act like I have some kind of "agenda." Regulars here know I am not one with any "agenda" - just a passion for computer security and privacy. I'm just trying to get a feel for what can and cannot be discussed regarding this WikiLeaks story. There's no question it presents a certain quandry and fine line for the mods - which I can appreciate. Get a grip.

9. vtol

vtol Registered Member

by now you are entirely off the topic. there are numerous indications for you what can and what can not be discussed, if you have further questions why don't you elevate them directly and hypothetically with the mod via PM instead?

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

There is as we 'speak' a serious cyberwar underway...PayPal ddos'ed by 4chan, anonops.net under ddos attack....

Quick summary here:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/06/anonymous_launches_pro_wikileaks_campaign/

Interestinger and interestinger as Alice might have said.
    (curiouser and curiouser is what she did say ;) )

Nice quote from John Barlow
    https://uloadr.com/u/4.png

If you want: Vote: Time magazine Person of the year :)
    http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2028734,00.html
    Free to vote for who you like !

11. vtol

vtol Registered Member

MasterCard pulls plug on WikiLeaks payments

12. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Online activists fighting to keep WikiLeaks alive

Does anyone see the irony here?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
  13. vtol

vtol Registered Member

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

"Authorities" and co-conspirators playing whack a mole with wikileaks ... :cautious:

Do various hierarchies really believe that wikileaks/whistleblowers efforts can actually be suppressed without totally losing the raison d'etre for "good government"

Amazing this type of publicity/effort was/is not expended on pedophilia sites or uncovering and prosecuting child sex abuse by by priests ??

15. noone_particular

I wish they'd lay off the DDOS attacks. Stooping to the governments level won't accomplish anything and will only give them more public relations ammunition that will be used to further distort and detract from the real issues. Mirroring the site, fine. Loudly voicing your opinions, fine. Boycotts, great. But Stop the attacks. Since they've arrested him, the next move is theirs. The insurance file is well distributed, awaiting the key, something they're very aware of.

16. vtol

vtol Registered Member

:thumb: especially as they draw more and more less knowledgeable users into the attacks, not realizing that their IPs will be recorded when participating. those using VPN will be drawing the attention to VPN services and could lead in the end to the prohibition of VPN in general - a lot of the VPN providers facilitate their payments through PP as well

17. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Just as a FYI, 2 links;

From Clay Shirky (American writer, consultant and NYU teacher on the social and economic effects of Internet technologies) on how "Wikileaks is our Amsterdam".

--http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2010/12/wikileaks-and-the-long-haul/--

From Aaron Bady, (student at Berkeley) who offers an interesting view (recently quoted in a NewYorkTimes article) on mr. Assange look on open/closed and visible/invisible networks.

--http://zunguzungu.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/julian-assange-and-the-computer-conspiracy/--

Links are only posted as 'food for thought'. (Not meant for discussion).

18. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I think people are taking their eye off the ball listening to Government's emphasizing how it's going to affect troops on the frontline (like they really care) - they're just tugging at the heartstrings - they know that's really all that the average person will be fuming about should it cause loss of life to troops. The reality is political damage will all be forgotten/patched up in 6 weeks and the crackdown on internet freedom of speech/privacy could last forever.

19. vtol

vtol Registered Member

it would have been anyways, this occasion is as good as it gets to have headlines as smokescreen

20. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

The powermongers wont be happy until we are all impotent maggots, either producing or consuming to their benefit; Our human and civil rights are being eroded by the day and expressing the truth amongst ourselves about this situation is considered by them to be a crime.

21. noone_particular

That's the one that really infuriates me. The troops are there to fight. The possibility of dying comes with war. Always has, always will. Soldiers know this going in. But when backroom deals and secret policies result in people everywhere hating us to the point that they want to kill civilians on sight for things we aren't even aware of, I would argue that theirs (government) is the real crime. Yes, these cables might endanger lives, primarily those of the corrupt officials whose actions have put all of us at risk. If citizens get a good look at what's been really going on, they'll want these officials heads, not just their jobs.

22. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

23. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

^John Young of Cryptome.org, really doesn't like Assange, who supposedly shares a serious 'heuristic' deviation with the current US super-admin. (To keep it non-political).

--http://cryptome.org/0003/wikileaks-dadt.htm--

24. vtol

vtol Registered Member

Australia blames US for cable leaks

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  25. vtol

vtol Registered Member

Charge The New York Times with Espionage? Sen. Lieberman Says, "Look Into It"
    slowly the smokescreen lifts. also curiously the differential in judgment for the same act

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.