Seem to have broken FDISR!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by kennyboy, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

On a new Windows installation (as well as the old one) when creating or copying/updating snapshots, i get the following:-

1, The snapshot icon that I am creating or replacing ie "Secondary" gets a red ? over it.

2, It "replaces" about 70MB when copying the exact same snapshot, EVERY time. The snapshot size goes up by this amount too.
    If I repeatedly copy the primary to the secondary without any changes being made, it "replaces" about this amount of files every time.

3, The log shows it is replacing about 42 files in Windows System32, Documents and Settings Local Service, and Network Service as well as others.

This was the reason that I ended up re-installing Windows, because I thought the old installation was corrupt in some way.

As I almost totally rely on FDISR for my system, I would appreciate any help.

Many Thanks.

Ken

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Don't you have any backup images or FDISR-archives ?

3. kennyboy

Yes Erik, but the same thing is happening after restoring an image, and also restoring archives. Very strange.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Ken

Did I read right, that you reinstalled windows. Does this include reinstalling FDISR?

Pete

5. kennyboy

Hello Peter.

Yes, Formatted drive and re-installed from scratch. Thought that would surely fix it and am amazed it didn't. Never seen anything like it before with FDISR. I have tried the original FDR 105, then with the update to version 3.20 build 202, and also tried with VSS changing to RSS. Same result.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The latest version of FDISR is v3.21 build 205, it shouldn't make a difference normally, but who knows ... I'm surprised that you don't seem to have the latest version.
    I'm using FDISR since 2006.06.01, never had that kind of problem.
    On a fresh installed system !!! o_O Almost unbelievable.
    Me thinks it is due to the upgrading of FDISR, I have ONE installation file.
    If you bought FDISR at Raxco and can prove it, you might ask Raxco for a complete installation file of build 205. Raxco will most likely give it to you and tell them you are a PerfectDisk user, if true that might encourage them to help you.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  7. kennyboy

I know Erik. I just couldnt believe it myself when it still did the same thing after a format and fresh install. After using FDISR for so long without problem, I never did get round to getting the latest version, but the fact that it does the same thing on the original basic version as well as after applying the updated version, AND trying VSS and RSS as well, makes me think there is something really upsetting FDISR itself, and not a fault with the program.
    If I can dig out the receipt, I will contact Raxco, because they are very good, but at the moment. I am inclined to believe that it is due to something else on my system.
    Even after a format, could there still be something (virus, malware etc) that could account for this? Even a corrupt Windows maybe? Getting desperate I know...:(

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hello, Did you run CHKDSK on Disks or maybe your drive is heavely fragmented,i would check for this before contacting Raxco.

9. Peter2150

Ken

Do I understand that you can install FDISR, but can't upgrade with the upgrade installer??

Pete

10. kennyboy

No Peter. I can install, and upgrade with (it seems) no problem. The result is the same whichever version I use. After upgrading, the version shows at 320. Build 202 ok. Also tried VSS and RSS to see if that made any difference.
    I honestly have no explanation for this. I need to pin down whether it is a corrupt FDR install, corrupt windows installation, or maybe a hardware problem. Because of FDISR's total reliability in the past, I am, really beginning to think it is something else.
    I have now re-formatted and fresh installed Windows and FDR with the same result.

@ Huupi. I will try CHKDSK. Hadn't thought to go that route to be honest. Thanks to all for your help. Will report back

Edit. 1. CHKDSK reports no errors.
    2. Should have said earlier, that the Red ? disappears when the copy/update
    is finished! Must mean something but I have no idea what!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  11. Peter2150

Finally figured out what is wrong. Absolutely nothing.

First I check my desktop where I go to archive.

First I updated the archive. Then I exit FDISR.

Then repeated the updates. Each time 144MB of 66 files got replaced.

Then I tried it on my THinkpad, where I just use a secondary snapshot.

Same thing. Repeatedly replaces 107MB each time. And while the actual copy is taking place, there is indeed a ? on the secondary snapshot.

Try building your secondary, and then booting to it. Thinks you will find it normal.

Pete

12. kennyboy

Oh My God!..........In the hundreds (maybe thousands) of times that I have copied/updated, why have I never seen that red ?

Wait 1. I will come back to you.

13. kennyboy

Just to confirm that Peter was exactly right in all respects. What I initially thought was a faulty FDISR was in fact normal behaviour from the software, and as usual, the weak link was sitting in front of the screen.

Grateful to all.

14. Peter2150

Glad it all worked out.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.