Seeking to write an updated "malvertising" blog post next month!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by teksquisite, Apr 22, 2015.

1. teksquisite

teksquisite Registered Member

Hi Wilder's peeps!

Wow - this site has uber info on malware = I could literally be glued here for days on end!

I blog a lot on Internet security and I've noticed that malvertising is heating up lately. It's not like the old days anymore - when you could ctrl-alt-del and shut the browser process down. Just last week (in Chrome) I was browsing a UK news aggregator and before I could even click on an Ubergizmo link, I was whisked away (via at least 3 redirects) to a page with a pop-up directing me to call an 888 number because my computer was "infected". I did call the number (because that is going to become another blog post) and recorded our conversation = I've put it on YouTube but have not written the blog post yet (that's coming out soon I hope!)

Anyway, back to malvertising = you can't find the "ad" again (once the ad redirects you) and this malvertisement targeted me by IP address/Geo location (I noted that my browser and IP data was included on the final landing destination page).

These miscreants earn approx. $25K a day, and it might be more now (since I wrote this malvertising post over on Dell Tech One). These creeps are stealth - They keep "good ads" up on high-profile sites (sometimes for months) while making visitors to the site think they are "trusted ads".

Does anyone have 2014 malvertising statistics? = I would love to write another malvertising blog to update this one.

Of course I will credit this forum :)

Thanks all!
    Teksqu/Bev

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.