Seeking Easy AV for Vista Home Basic user?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sandman423, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Hey, this isn't Neowin :D

As for those bloaty HP programs you can either manually clean it out or use PC Decrapifier. Not really a technical name but it does it's job, lol. I got rid of Acer's junk on both of my computers.

2. edd3800

edd3800 Registered Member

Adding a stick of Ram is cheap and will help with computer performance. midway 40 recommend PC Decrapifier, I've used it and it works great. After that, download and install NIS 2009 see how it runs on her laptop. NIS also has a good firewall that will make choices for her. NIS 2009 is light and a complete product. It's a very good choice for someone who wants to set and forget.
    If free is the way you want to go, Avast or Avira are both very good. That still leaves you with what to do about firewall. She can use Vista firewall,which is limited, or check out "other firewalls" on this Forum. With her limited about of Ram anything you add may effect performance.

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Keep in mind that you'll receive a large avnotify nag screen during each update which in some cases could be multiple times per day. If it becomes annoying there are was to bypass it.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, that's true, thanks.... I did forget about that, but as you say, it's pretty easy to knock that out....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.