Seeing USB drive From Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rod Williams, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Chutsman,

Boot from the Safe version rescue CD again and use the Check Image Wizard to verify your image on the external drive. If it checks out o.k. then there shouldn't be problem when the time comes to carry out an actual restore.

Regards

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello feverfive,

If I am not mistaken you have the FireWire drive connected via the docking station. Could you please try to connect the drive directly to the notebook? According to your description there may be a problem with the connection between the drive and the computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. feverfive

feverfive Registered Member

Yes I did; no luck. Just tried late lst night. This is strange. I have a couple friends who swear by this product, never eem to have had an issue w/ it. Totally different machines than mine though. I know it has to be tough to make such a program that is compatitble w/ everything. Unfortunately, recognizing that doesn't do me any good. I'm afraid to do anything on my machine until I get this figured out. Thanks again for your suggestions.

4. feverfive

Nope. My external HD is connected to a (4-pin) firewire port directly to my notebook. My notebook stand has only USB ports; no firewire port.

5. Acronis Support

Hello feverfive,

I am really sorry for misunderstanding. Now I do see how the drive is connected. Could oyu please try to connect the drive via USB directly to the notebook as a test and boot with Acronis Bootable CD? Will the drive be recognized?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. broodwich

broodwich Guest

the umount command is to un-mount the floppy device
    the file should already be on the floppy at this point and that command may not be absolutely necessary...try making sure caps is off some versions of linux may be sensitive to this
    check that disk on your windows system for the sysinfo.txt

7. Acronis Support

Hello broodwich,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You are right that the umount command unmounts the floppy drive. However, if you just eject the drive wihtout unmounting it may appear that there is no files there. This happens because the file is stored in buffer first and only after a while it is written to the drive. This common for all Linux systems including Acronis Bootable CD that is Linux-based.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. ludeboom

ludeboom Guest

technically he could wait over nite lets say for the cache to be written no? ultimately at this point he doesnt have much choice does he

9. feverfive

Nope; caps lock key is not on, and I have cheecked the floppy disk in Widows after each time I've tried this--no file.

10. feverfive

Ilya,
    I will go ahead & try connecting my HD via USB, BUT, obviously even if this would work, I wouldn't want to be forced into having my external drive connected in such a way--I connect via firewire for performance-related reasons. Of course, if this does work, I could always connect w/ USB only in the event I needed to restore.... I'll let you know whether that works. I feel stupid for not thinking of this....

11. Acronis Support

Hello ludeboom,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

When you unmount the floppy drive you make the system synchronize buffer with the actual state of the floppy drive and writes all the files to the drive. That is why we need to unmount the drive before ejecting the floppy drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

12. broodwich

broodwich Registered Member

usb2 is faster than 1394

13. feverfive

In its theoretical throughput, yes. But in the real world benchmarks I've seen (sorry, I don't have links), firewire wins; and added the benefit is that firewire has less CPU usage......

14. feverfive

Ilya,
    Well, I went ahead as you asked, & I connected my external HD via USB2 instead of my preferred firewire connection.....when I boot w/ the rescue CD, my external drive can be read. I created an image in DOS (took almost 2 hours for 9.8GB (I didn't compress at all), & another 20 minutes to verify in DOS.

Bottom Line: I'm relieved that I can connect my external HD via USB2 if necessary to restore, so that's a relief. I am, however, still curious as to why I had a couple instances where my firewire-connected HD was accessible when using the rescue CD (well, it at least showed up in the tree directory when in DOS; couldn't do much even when it did show those couple of times), but wasn't accessible most of the time. o_O

Again, my external enclosure uses the Oxford 911 firewire chipset. I REALLY hope you'll be willing to verify w/ the developers whether that chipset is, or will be, supported in the next build. I don't want to be hooked-up via USB all the time, and it's a pain to swap-out cables just for purposes of using TI8. I'll do that for now though. Thanks to you & others who have posted suggestions/guidance. It is VERY much appreciated.

15. feverfive

I know this is off-topic, but I just ran HD Tach to re-test my external HD connected both via USB2 & firewire:

Random Access CPU Utilization Average Read

USB2 16.3 ms-- 35% (+/- 2%)-- 22.7MB/s
    firewire 15.7 ms-- 7% (+/- 2%)-- 32.5MB/s

Again, I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ATA, 120GB drive in an AMS Venus DS3 enclosure. Firewire clearly wins, on my equipment at least.

16. Menorcaman

Hi feverfive,

I guess that very much depends whether or not the Oxford 911 chipsetset implements the IEEE1394 Standard correctly in the first place. As TI users have found out with USB 2.0 external HD enclosures, not all chipsets are born equal !!

Regards

17. feverfive

True that, true that!! Given the more fundamental concrns being voiced about builds 859 & 889, I'm guessing my issue is very minor compared to what others are experiencing (well, at least since I know I have the alternative of USB).

Thanks for the help you've offered regarding this issue. I'm hoping it does get fixed soon.

18. Acronis Support

Hello feverfive,

Thank you for the test you provided. The main purpose of it was not to force you to use the disk via USB but to check the enclosure for possible hardware failures. I have forwarded this information to Marian and she will try to find the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

19. feverfive

I appreciate that Ilya. I do use (currently am in fact) my external HD connected via firewire. I store all of my music, and othe rfiles on it with no issues other than having it read by TI8 using the boot CD. TI8 saves my image to that HD just fine when in Windows; hope your tech people can figure this out. Thanks for your help as well.

20. Acronis Support

Hello feverfive,

Since you are very cooperative during the investigation I am sure we will be able to fix the issue. I believe Marian will be able to find the solution soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

21. mbschulman

mbschulman Registered Member

My problem is related to the USB devices seen by TrueImage:

I've got a backup image on a DVD, and wish to verify it using the native TrueImage environment - as a practice run for when I need to restore it.

The notebook I'm using for this is a Compaq Presario 2510AP (USB1.0 only), running XP Home.

The external USB device is a dual-layer DVD burner LG, model GSA-5160D.

In Windows XP, with the image DVD on the USB-connected DVD burner, the image verifies correctly.

With the TrueImage (v8.0, builds 771 or 859) "Full Version" Rescue Media bootable CD in the notebook's internal CD/DVD drive,

- If I boot the notebook with the DVD burner plugged in the notebook's USB port, the notebook ignores the TrueImage CD and boots straight into XP. Then, the USB device is accessible from inside XP with no problems.

- If I don't plug the USB DVD burner and boot, then the notebook boots into native TrueImage. If I then plug the DVD burner into the notebook's USB port, TrueImage won't show it in its disk tree.

I'll be happy to provide any other details regarding the environment, or to try different tests.

I'll be most grateful for any assistance with this problem.

22. Acronis Support

Hello mbschulman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please try to plug your external DVD drive and boot the notebook with Windows Installation CD inserted into the internal drive and let us know the result? In order to be able to use DVD drive after booting with Acronis Bootable CD you need to plug the external drive prior the boot process, i.e. you need to plug the external drive first and then boot up the computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

23. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

FWIW, I tried my NEC 3500A external DVD burner on my Presario 2135US laptop. Booting with the TI boot CD in the laptop DVD/CDrom, the TI CD booted up fine and in going through as far as I could without actually doing a Restore, the ext. DVD showed up in the TI tree list and it was able to bring up what was on the CD in the ext. DVD drive. The laptop also has only 1.1 usb ports, and the ext. DVD was on before booting with the TI boot CD.

24. Michael76

Michael76 Guest

I own a Compaq 2531 notebook and an external USB2 hdd. This hdd is a 80 GB Maxtor inside an Enermax box. If the hdd is connected directly to the notebook TI8 doen't see it (sometimes TI8 sees it as an USB1.1, sometimes as a floppy...); but, if the hdd is connected through a USB2 hub (Trust), all works right!

25. Menorcaman

Hi,

Can you please enter your Presario's BIOS setup and advise the boot order that it's set to?

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.