Security Suites sub forum

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by muf, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

More and more people are using Security Suites these days and there are many more questions relating to security suites. Don't you think it would be good to have a dedicated Security Suites Sub Forum within the Security Software forum. Some people post Security Suite questions in the other anti-malware software forum. Some post in the firewall forum and some in the anti-virus forum. I think it would prove useful to have a Security Suites forum.

Don't shoot me though. It's just something I think may prove beneficial.

Paul

2. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

+1...You raise some good points, and I think this is a solid idea.

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

+1, I also think that anti-trojan software thread can be merged with other anti-malware thread.

4. muf

muf Registered Member

Totally agree with this as well. The Anti Trojan app is a rare creature these days. Nearly all trojan detection is done by Anti-malware rather than dedicated Anti-Trojans.

Paul

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

+ 1; but I would say better anti-trojan software thread merged in anti-virus software thread

6. progress

progress Guest

+1 :thumb:

7. FeralVirus

FeralVirus Registered Member

Yupyupyup. Agree with all the above.:thumb:

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I vote No for a sub Security Suite forum. (it's still an AV in my eyes)
    But I agree on that maybe the Anti-Trojan section should be merged with the AM section.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I agree completely on both points.

10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

are there any programs that search specifically for viruses but not trojans etc? It should really just be "AntiMalware" forum + Firewall.

Not that I mind it being split up too much.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Not a bad idea at all.....

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I think it would be a good idea s well to have a security suites sub forum. Suites have the advantage of being an "all in one" program but have the disadvantage that many of the newer components (behavior blockers, HIPS, sandboxes, etc) are relatively in their early stages of development and can have many problems, especially regarding the provided security they need.

I think there should also be a 64 bit forum(s) as well as mobile/tablet security forum(s).

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I disagree that i don't agree ;) = :thumb: to both suggestions.

Re - AT thread

I've always wondered why SAS was in there ?

14. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

+1 for the suite sub forum.

15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Same here, if you make a special sub forum for the suites, you get multiple topics on what's essentially the same product except for some extra features/functionality. Users that use the AV variant might miss usefull info because it's posted in the topic of the Suite variant, or other way around. Following both topics at the same time is annoying IMO and if all info is located in one place it prevents asking the same questions over again etc.

16. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

My preference would be for fewer forums here instead of more. For instance, I would consolidate all security software forums into one security software forum. IMHO, there should be separate forums only for topics that tend to have little overlap.

17. CloneRanger

I know what you mean, but IMO that would make a LOT less easier to follow.

As it is we can instantly see where we want to go :thumb: Plus threads don't get pushed down as much as they would do if they were bunched together.

18. MrBrian

Noted.

These are specific issues that I have with the existing layout for security software forums:
    1. Does a less-experienced user browsing here know what "malware" refers to?
    2. "Virus" and "malware" can mean essentially the same thing, or the former can be considered a subset of the latter, depending on the context.
    3. Does a less-experienced user browsing here know what "trojan" refers to?
    4. There aren't many anti-trojan-only programs around anymore.

The above points lead me to believe that those three forums should be merged into one. There is too much overlap IMHO.

19. CloneRanger

@ MrBrian

Actually quite some time back i mentioned about combining the AT + AV thread, as in recent years the Apps appear to overlap more than ever. I was told to more or less shut up :eek: However, i've noticed a welcome change on here since then, with Admin etc more willing to listen/heed constuctive critisism + advice etc, & act on it :) :thumb:

These days more than before, but Not all !

Yeah a Virus is a subset of the latter.

Probably not !

Agreed.

I do believe that these threads should be left as is.

other anti-malware software

Privacy Related Topics

Other Security Topics

20. MrBrian

I think most less-experienced users know the term "virus," and use it to refer to what more-experienced users call "malware." I also believe most less-experienced users have no idea what "malware" refers to. Notice that, for example, we speak about "Avast Antivirus," but it would be more technically accurate for it to be called "Avast Antimalware." I would prefer to have one forum called "anti-malware software (including anti-virus software)" that the three said forums are folded into.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  21. MrBrian

Regarding the topic of a new forum for security suites, I would advise against it.

Issues:
    1. What's the difference between a suite and a non-suite? Isn't this subjective in some cases?
    2. Except for easy classifications (e.g. software with word "suite" in title), this would require moderators and thread starters to be make classification decisions for suite or non-suite.
    3. Besides the first two issues, if there were two separate forums, how many who are interested in one of the forums wouldn't also follow the other forum anyway?

22. blacknight

The focus IMO is different: the question is not " what " is the threat, but which are the kind of softwares that we use to detect and block it; one tool are avs, another the fws, another the HIPSs. A suite should have all them. So a thread for the suites is proper and valid.

23. muf

muf Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies! One thing to note as well. Not all seperate apps are the same animal in a suite compared to what it is in a single application. For example, the firewall in a vendors suite could be quite different to the dedicated firewall from the same vendor. So problems or issue's relating to the firewall in the suite may not be suited to the firewall forum.

Something like this would be clearer imho.

Other Firewalls
    Other Anti-Virus Software
    Other Anti-Malware Software
    Other Security Suites
    Update Alerts

Paul

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  24. blacknight

Partially agree. It needs Other Firewall Software, someone uses FW but any HIPS, or a combo of different producers.

25. guest

guest Guest

Agreed. So many sub-forums that hardly make sense. I can barely check them all, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.