security strategies that are too big a pain?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Aug 3, 2010.

?

Painful security strategies

1. HIPS - noisy ones, especially

56 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. sandboxes

21 vote(s)
    22.3%
  3. antivirus programs - system slowdowns, false positives

29 vote(s)
    30.9%
  4. software restriction policies, applocker, uac, etc

34 vote(s)
    36.2%
  5. limited user account

41 vote(s)
    43.6%
  6. internet browser add ons (i.e. no script)

25 vote(s)
    26.6%
  7. web site restrictions (DNS service, sites blockers: ie. WOT)

18 vote(s)
    19.1%
  8. snapshot and image programs, data back ups, syncing

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  9. on demand scanning with 3rd party apps (Hitman Pro, MBAM, etc)

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  10. Other- please post which

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I've "micro-managed" mine since 2005 and haven't got tired of it. I'd imagine it depends on how often you update or change things on your system. If I was running an AV, it would be a lot more hassle, just from the update process. My system doesn't change often so there isn't much maintenance involved. SSM and Kerio remain silent during normal usage.

Trying to maintain a reasonable level of privacy and dealing with the increasingly intrusive tracking methods is becoming a pain. IMO, maintaining the integrity of your system is easy in comparison. Defeating the tracking methods often breaks things on the website. On my own PC, I can reduce the filtering when Proxomitron breaks a site. The problem is the PC used by everyone else. I gave up on using Proxomitron on it. Every time I looked at that PC, Proxomitron was in bypass mode. doing nothing. I'd showed them how to bypass its filtering when it was necessary to make a site work, and they chose to leave it that way. For me, a big pain is finding a way to defeat a substantial amount of the tracking and blocking the more annoying ads on a PC with casual users. Options that allow them to disable the filtering/protection have been ineffective as they won't turn them back on. The FlashBlock extension helps some. Eraser regularly wipes the cache and the locations used by flash to store records. Beyond that, I'm low on ideas that work for a typical users PC.

The one idea I'm considering is to make a snapshot of the entire system, then let them use it for a week. After that, make another snapshot, compare them. Take note of all the files/folders that changed and compare that to the browser history. Then I could set Eraser to wipe those on regular intervals or attempt to make the locations read-only and prevent the writing of usage tracks.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Just one of many reasons that I don't bother with excessive privacy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.