Security Softwares Goes Bad ???

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ravifrequent, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravifrequent

ravifrequent Registered Member

hi people,

i need ur advice on the following.

recently i found an article related to Symantec AntiVirus the Secret Anti-Rootkit Tool? 'When Security Software Goes Bad'.............A new report says that exploiting vulnerabilities in anti-virus,backup software programs and worm removal software is currently quite popular -- and not all security firms have .......

am i at threat now if i download their tools and run in my pc? i also found articles comparing these vulnerabilities to the famous sony rootkit security threat.

am i inviting un-invited guests to my OS by using their tools?

should i use their tools ? please help me.

thanks

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I would think the removal tools from respected vendors -- such as Panda, Sophos, TrendMicro, BitDefender, Symantec, McAfee, F-Secure, etc. -- would be safe to use. I know that Symantec digitally signs all their removal tools so that, if any one of them has been tampered with, you will know immediately upon download of one that fails the validation. I'm sure the others from respectable vendors are safe too. So that would be the least of your worries, I would think .. IMHO .. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.