security software

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lodore, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

i am thinking aboiut what protection software to get whjen my current stuff needs renewing

something like

antivirus- nod32 or kaspersky
    firewall outpost or look "n" stop
    antispyware-spysweeper

kaspersky seems to have problems with thrid party firewall which is about the only thing i dont like about it

I do like nod32 alot
    look "N" stop seems to have the same idea as nod32 aka low resourse high protection but kaspersky 6 seems to use low resourse as well so its a hard choose

any sergestions ?
    I welcome any imput
    Thanks in advance
    lodore

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The upcoming NOD32 3.0 security suite will have a firewall. You may wait a bit to see how the NOD32 firewall perform.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u decide to go with KAV, have comfort knowing it works fine with looknstop.

if ur interesting in having some sort of HIPS get KAV. its proactive defense is pretty neat tho i dont use it myself.

both KAV 6 and NOD32 are light but if u want shorter (on-demand) scan times, then go with NOD32.

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

The last claim is incorrect. Kaspersky after the first scan, which takes long (but not hours...) scans your system in less than ten minutes. Just check the right options and you have a fast scanner with KAV and KIS 2006

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI Lodore,
    I am using KAV6 with LooknStop with no issues.

As for scan times, KAV6 is much faster than NOD after the first scan, which ran about 40 minutes. After that checking the option to not scan files that have not been changed or new files, and using IChecker and ISwift, the scan times for the complete computer run from 4 - 10 minutes. When I tried NOD the scan times were slightly over 30 minutes.

Kav 6 is lighter on my machine than NOD. Memory usage runs 10,000K - 13,000K. NOD used 22,000K on the same machine.

Both are excellent AVs, and only a trial will show you what is best on your machine.

Spysweeper is an excellent AS if it runs well for you. I prefer SuperAntiSpyware for my own use.
    Best,
    Jerry

6. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I am using KAV6 with Jetico PF and there are no issues here. Take a look at JPF, but there is a learning curve to get it set so there are not many pop-ups.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im glad there is no problems running look "n"stop with kav. because that was like the only thing stopping me from getting it.

the only thing stopping me from trying stuff right now is the fact i have still got 5 months of lincense of f-secure left i want to just ditch it but im not sure

also i forgot to put avira antivir with firewall i know its still in beta but its looks great

the other thing is i would rather have say the bets antivirus and the best firewall such as antivir with outpost.

rather than having the best antivirus with a firewall. this way you arnt sacrafircing one product because they are combined. name me one company that make first class antivirus and first class firewall?
    so if one make is great at antivirus stick to it and leave firewall to the great firewall software companys

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  8. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Your safe relax,

9. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Could well be possible, although I'm using Outpost with KAV 6 and I don't have a problem.
    Both run great together, as well as the previous KAV betas. :thumb:

Did have BSOD's with SB Kerio :D, but that wouldn't be KAV's fault.
    They still have to iron out some bugs in that new firewall version.
    Same happened to me when running BOClean with it, because as soon as it asked a connection, it happened. :doubt:

Those BSOD's may well depend from PC to PC, so it won't be easy to fix those bugs.

I know it's not easy to chose, because I trialed so many before settling down to the ones I'm using now. :)

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw i know im safe but i want products that use less resourse i know i can get the sam protection but that has less impact on the system.

can spywareblaster be used along side spysweeper?

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes but one of spy sweeper's shields (i forgot which one) prevents spywareblaster from updating. i dont know if v5 still has this issue but u can read about it in the javacool forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.